cobalt blue - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 01-10-2004, 04:31 PM   #1
Sssnaker boy
cobalt blue

can i have everything you know on...
cobalt blues. i saw a picture of a big one and it was amazing. but iwant to know these things:

-how much do they normaly cost?
-what size tank do you have to keep them in?
-are they venomus or dangerous like that?
-how big do they get full sized?
-are they vicious?
-are they nocturnal?
-do you need a heat lamp or UTH for one?
-if so to the question above, what should the temp be?
-what do they eat?
-are they easy to take care of?
-how long do they live?
-is it a certain gender that becomes that amazing color?
-what should be in the cage/tank?

and any other information you know about them.
please reply.

thank you

Old 01-10-2004, 05:25 PM   #2
jenn_jeffery
http://www.tarantulas.us/forums/showthread/t-268.html

http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/H-lividum.html

http://www.arachnophiliac.com/burrow...ma_lividum.htm

These are the first three hits off of google searching for: cobalt blue: care

I have a friend who owns a cobalt blue, and she's quite aggressive. Definitely not something a beginner wants. If you're interested in keeping arachnids, check out some of the arachnid sites and look for 'beginner' types to begin with, and move up from there.

Also, if you live with parents/roommates, be SURE they don't mind you getting one, as many people are scared of spiders....and keep in mind also that spiderlings are SMALL, so if it gets out, its gone.

Old 02-07-2004, 07:57 PM   #3
John Apple
Blues

Yeah cobalts are rather aggressive with a heavy bite ...swelling and possibly fever with some heavy joint pain quite sililiar to a pterinochilus murinus or a stromatopelma calceata [starburst and feather leg] definately not something you want for a beginner bug, I am assuming you are a beginner....if so might I suggest one of the other Blue 'bugs' like the orange bottle blue brush[cromatopelma sp.] these are a bit nervous but not as aggressive and usually never attempt to bite they would rather stick the abdomen up in the air kick and flee, unless they have made a web then the just ab-up and kick hairs [these don't itch as bad as many other species] they like it a bit on the dry side with a weekly misting. Much web they make and it has a yellow hue when the home is old.
The obb has a color sceme much better than the cobalt , it has an orange abdomen with blue legs , did I say hardy ??? well they are hardy as heck.

Old 03-16-2004, 03:22 AM   #4
Botar
Re: cobalt blue

Quote:
Originally posted by Sssnaker boy
-how much do they normaly cost?
-what size tank do you have to keep them in?
-are they venomus or dangerous like that?
-how big do they get full sized?
-are they vicious?
-are they nocturnal?
-do you need a heat lamp or UTH for one?
-if so to the question above, what should the temp be?
-what do they eat?
-are they easy to take care of?
-how long do they live?
-is it a certain gender that becomes that amazing color?
-what should be in the cage/tank?

-CB spiderlings usually around $25 and up depending upon the size.
-Depends upon the size. An adult will do well in a large kritter keeper sized container with a substrate around 6 to 8 inches deep to allow a deep burrow.
-As John mentioned, the bite can be painful, but not deadly or dangerous.
-5.5" to 6" max as a rough estimate.
-Vicious? I prefer to call them anti-social.
-I don't know that I would call them noctornal, but that is when you are most likely to find them out.
-I would recommend against a heat lamp. It will dry out the container. I keep my spider room between 70 and 80 degrees with a natural fluctuation.
-Crickets, roaches and about anything else they can overpower including small mice and lizards. You wouldn't need to feed them anything but crickets though.
-Yes. Most tarantulas are very easy to keep. With this species, keep the substrate damp and throw in some food once or twice a week and it will be quite content.
-I don't know for sure, but my guess would be 10 to 15 years for a female.
-They will look pretty much alike until the males ultimate molt. At that time he will be more subdued in his coloration.
-Substrate and a water dish. Decorations are up to you... they really don't care one way or the other.

The tarantula John is referring to is the green bottle blue or Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. They are a bit skittish, but quite striking in appearance. If you are a true beginner and you have a desire to hold your new pet, I would recommend an Avicularia versicolor. They are bright blue as babies and will mature into a blue/green and red/purple spider that is quite gentle. That is unless you feel like dropping $450 on a Poecilotheria metallica spiderling... the true crowning jewel of the spider world.

Botar

Old 05-01-2005, 08:07 PM   #5
redknee
sssnakerboy the Mexican Redknee Brachypelma Smithi is another cool spider one of the best imo

Old 06-06-2005, 10:09 PM   #6
tarantulaman2005
i have a cobalt blue on auction he is an adult about4.5+ inches if interested give me an email at tarantulaman2005@yahoo.com

Old 06-23-2005, 09:26 AM   #7
Rosehaired79
If your a beginner a Cobalt would not be a good beginner T for you to start with. Check this lik out it has a list of beginner Ts. My fav is the G.aureostriata cause they are very docile and get huge . I do like Brachys to but if I had to pick the B.emilia would be my choice. Mine has never flicked hairs at me as for hubbys B.smithi I can't say that. But heres the link! http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=40987

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!