building question(wood treatment) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-23-2005, 10:09 PM   #1
pcfreak
building question(wood treatment)

Im planning on using a misting system and I was wondering if the wood the cage is made out of needs to be treated? And if so, what is a good brand to do it with?
Thanks,
Jacob

Old 06-24-2005, 02:06 AM   #2
qstendious
I don't know for sure but I don't think you should be putting any type of chemicals in or on your chameleons cage. I've read that they are very sensitive to strong smells and become very stressed by them. I can't think of any wood treatment that would allow you to avoid that problem. You may also poison your animal. I'm not a pro so don't think my post is a fact, it's just what I've read.

Old 06-24-2005, 10:40 AM   #3
JasonDescamps
All of my wood cages are treated with Helmsman Spar Urethane. It is designed for outdoor use and is pretty tough. I have wood framed cages that are 8 years old and still look brand new. Just be sure to let it set for about 4-5 days before you put your cham in it.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:18 AM   #4
HerpAddict
I also use Spar urethane on my racks for my geckos. I think it's also known as a marine varnish, typically for use on boats. Because it's used on boats, I doubt it would leach any harmful chemicals into lake or ocean waters, so it shouldn't leach into your cham's water.

Old 06-24-2005, 12:21 PM   #5
pcfreak
thanks ill look into it.
have a nice day,
Jacob

Old 06-24-2005, 12:26 PM   #6
pcfreak
Can the Spar Urethane be used on wood thats going to be inside?
Thanks,
jacob

Old 06-24-2005, 12:46 PM   #7
HerpAddict
Quote:
Can the Spar Urethane be used on wood thats going to be inside?
Yes. Just let it sit outside for a couple days after staining to stop the smell from making your house reak. Also, don't put chams near it for about a week after you stain it, just to really make sure it's dry, and not smelly anymore.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!