calcium deficiency - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-13-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
bxhotboy150
Stop! calcium deficiency

What can i do to stop makin him shake and i dont think its calcium deficiency i think its impaction because he hasnt popped yet and i give him calcium its called nekton- rep

Old 07-13-2005, 06:33 PM   #2
DAND
What form of lighting are you using?

Old 07-13-2005, 06:45 PM   #3
bleedthefreak
Yes...make sure you have a good UVB bulb. Repti-Sun 10.0 is the best IMO. The Repti-Glo 8.0 is good as well. I use Rep-Cal with D3 for calcium. You mention a possible impaction. What kind of substrate is he on and what have you been feeding? When's the last time he pooped? The more details, the better.

Old 07-13-2005, 07:37 PM   #4
some_lizard_guy
bleedthefreak? The same person as on kingsnake? Looks like you joined a while back, but I haven't seen you here, so umm... Welcome!

As for the calcium-
Giving a supplement alone is not enough. Beardies need vitamin D3 (found in natural sunlight and special bulbs) in order to properly process calcium. Don't go with dietary D3 (found in some supplements) because 1) they can overdose 2) it is unknown whether it is even effective. You NEED proper lighting in the form of natural sunlight or Reptisun fluorescents or an MVB such as the Megaray. Another less likely problem is the possibility of an improper calcium to phosphorous balance. You should have a supplement with NO phosphorous because most foods are already too high in phosphorous. Use only the best supplements such as Rep-Cal products, I have never heard of your supplement, which likely means it isn't very good.
Good luck with your dragon!
-Drew

Old 07-13-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
PaulSage
Nekton products are very good, but they're from Germany and relatively expensive. I think that's why you don't see them around much. Also, unlike many other supplements, they have expiration dates and a no-return policy on expired products (last I checked) and that makes some retailers avoid them.

JMO

Old 07-13-2005, 08:07 PM   #6
some_lizard_guy
Whoops, I guess that was a mix-up... I just know you usually hear about rep-cal and herptivite and (on occasion) miner-all... Their are soooooo many supplements out there that it is hard to keep them all straight!
Sorry for the mistake!
-Drew

Old 07-13-2005, 09:08 PM   #7
bleedthefreak
Lizard Guy...Yeah that would be me. How many bleedthefreak's do you think there are? Thanks for the welcome. Usually when I'm here I'm glued to reading the BOI, trying to branch out a little.
Paul...thanks for the info. I've never tried their products before.

Old 07-25-2005, 02:13 PM   #8
DragonCharm
If there is any doubt that you have an impaction issue you should always consult with your vet, sometimes time is limited so you want to act fast.

Old 07-26-2005, 12:29 AM   #9
Liza714
The calcium deficency and the impaction need to be treated separatly. The impaction is the more immediate threat and if serious (how many days has it been since your BD pooped?) then you need a herp vet ASAP. If its not immediate you should give your beardie a warm soak (not hot) and treat for dehydration. If you can get him or her to go great. If not got to the vet, again ASAP.

If you do have a calcium defiency then your vet will probably give some type of glucocal either orally or as an injectable. I would recommend going with the Mercury Vapor Bulb as their UVB output is approximatly twice (or is it thrice?) that of hte best tubes, and would help kick start some Vit D production.

Old 07-26-2005, 12:32 AM   #10
Liza714
Oh one other thing. The name of your supplement "nekton" means swimmer (sorry I am an oceanographer I cant help it) which leads me to believe the calcium is from the cuttlebone of a cuttlefish (squid). Its a common source of cheap calcium even in human supplements but I don't think this is the most absorbable form of calcium as it is calcium bicarbonate. Someone correct me if I am wrong here.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!