Discoidalis Babies! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:48 PM   #11
Radena
WEll, guess that is what my problem is. I wanna see. Guess I will have to quit that.

Old 10-18-2005, 04:00 PM   #12
YJHB
Yeah, I'd have tried to stop watching them sooner if I'd known that to begin with...they really are SO neat to watch. I used to actually open the bin just to feel the wierd mix of fear, disgust and interest I got while watching them. It was like sitting at an unbearably scary horror movie and being too interested to leave. :P Did you know they actually clean themselves after touching us? LOL

Old 10-18-2005, 09:18 PM   #13
Radena
No! I did not know that. So maybe they were feeling the same as you. Fear, disgust and interest. LOL
My grandson is super interested in bugs and snakes. Both of them. The are pulling up
the newly planted sod to catch earthworms. Parents are not happy. LOL
They catch snakes in the yard. Dad makes them turn them loose. The oldest always has to come see the Beetles(roaches) I told him they were beetles. Never know what kids will say. And how the nieghbors will react.
I killed half of mine. I got some zuchine from a garden. And even though I rinsed it. I must not have rinse it well enough. They started dieing. And all my crickets died from
the same thing. I need to order more Roaches. My luck I only have males left.
Never again will I get garden stuff unless I grow it myself.

Old 10-18-2005, 09:41 PM   #14
YJHB
Hahahaha, pulling up fresh sod is the fastest way to tick off ppl who love their lawns! I wish I had thought of telling ppl I raise beetles; what a great idea...not that I mind being a freak :P

AAwww, your poor roaches...you must be sick about it. I couldn't think of any way to get around having to buy produce from the grocer's. I buy both organic and regular stuff, and wash it well with dish detergent and warm to hot water. See, some of the pesticides in use are oil based so they won't wash off the plants with rain.

What are you feeding your roaches to?

Old 10-18-2005, 11:03 PM   #15
Radena
Yes. I felt horrible. I think what ever poisened them was a natural insecticide that kept them from shedding.
So far I have not gotten any roachs to feed yet.
LOL
Superworms and crickets is the given here so far.
I have 5 leopard geckos and two male bearded dragons.

I would love to have more. But am running our of room.
LOL

Old 10-19-2005, 08:05 AM   #16
YJHB
I have always wanted to try leopard geckos and dragons. I love the high orange/red dragons, those are gorgeous. I have a separate room for my Panther chameleons & their food, but since you can't house Panthers together, I have space problems too

You know what, mine started getting shedding issues when I tried to lower the humidity in their bin. I haven't heard of an insecticide that works that way, but I can tell you that if you let them dry out too much they do get shedding problems. My Blatta Lateralis need misted at least every other day. Those are the ones I'm selling; I have literally THOUSANDS of them. www.blaberus.com has GREAT care sheets. http://www.blaberus.com/Documents/Bl...sCareSheet.pdf

Old 10-19-2005, 11:15 AM   #17
Radena
YOu can not keep male beardeds together either. And that is what I have.
The leos are girls. And with a nice sized pen they can be kept together.
Males will fight to the death so I hear.
I think I had read that caresheet before. But it is nice to reread and remind me of things. Maybe I will up thier humidity.
Thank you.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:17 PM   #18
A_Kendergirl
I upped the humidity for my discoids, and guess what..... I have more babies!! Wooo hoo!

I feed my roaches Cody's Pro Roach Gutload. I also use his Pro Gutload for my mealworms and superworms. I won't ever buy another gutload. His stuff is great!

Old 11-14-2005, 08:01 PM   #19
Bahamut
I raise discoids to feed the leos and monitors at the university where I work (and study). They have done really well for me, and the suggestion I would like to make is to heat them up. Our colonies actually sit on heat pads to raise the temp to about 90. And the females exude the eggcases and then retract them back into their body cavity to brood them. Dropped egg cases will not hatch. And yes the most common cause of dropped egg cases is disturbance before they are fully retracted. I think the females drop them so they can run better.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!