Advice and help would be nice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-17-2005, 06:07 PM   #1
WickedSnake
Lightbulb Advice and help would be nice

Hello to anyone out there who knows how to deal with vine snakes, or snakes like them. i purchased one, not knowing it was wildcaught. it's small, about 2 feet. I've had him for several days, and he has calmed down alot. but still he will not eat. i've tried small anoles, but he won't even attempt to eat. maybe i need smaller? maybe something different? maybe scents? if you had any ideas or suggestions. PLEASE, please let me know.
thankyou very much,
Alex

Old 11-17-2005, 07:53 PM   #2
hhmoore
describe the setup you have him in, please. you state that you have had him "for several days...but still he will not eat" - before messing around with him, step back and leave him alone. this is a wild caught snake thrust into a new environment...give it some time to settle in, then try feeding. What they eat will depend on the size, and (to some extent) the type of vine snake. The ones I had took appropriate sized nestling rodents pretty easily, but anoles should work as well.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:30 PM   #3
WickedSnake
Thankyou. he is small, about 2 feet, asian green vine snake. he lives in a 20gal tank with soil bought from a pet store, several small limbs for climbing, many fake green twigs and leaves for hiding, and a small heat lamp, along with a heat pad to keep the humidity up.
please let me know what i'm doing wrong. constructive critisiscm welcome.
thanks

-Alex

Old 11-17-2005, 11:58 PM   #4
hhmoore
I don't know that you are doing anything wrong at this time. the important thing is to give it time to acclimate. What are your temperatures running (since you are using both a UTH and a heat light)? Humidity is important with these guys, too. make sure you mist the cage, as sometimes they are less than diligent about drinking from a bowl. as far as the size of the anoles, that is pretty hard to guess without seeing what you have...but "small" anoles should work. In the meantime, don't forget the 1/4" crickets.

Old 11-18-2005, 11:37 AM   #5
WickedSnake
Thankyou.
i have the temperature between 82-86 daily, and only a few degree's less at night. i'll give the crickets a try. thanks again.

Old 11-18-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
hhmoore
(the 1/4" crickets are for the lil anoles)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!