Shipping snakes via USPS - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:30 PM   #11
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
As it turns out, Reptibid was already way ahead on this. They had contacted the seller, checked out his references, and confirmed that he is legitimate.

I also received an email from the seller in question. He stated that he has already changed his shipping methods and is revising his ads and web site accordingly.
If that is the case, then another has already taken his spot - several ads all stating that the snakes will be shipped USPS Priority Mail

Old 04-06-2006, 12:40 AM   #12
varnyard
I would have a problem with this even if it was legal to ship snakes. USPS, is the most unreliable of all ways to ship anything. If you ship dry goods with them over night express mail. They still only get it there on time, only half the time at best. And then this guy says he was going to ship them priority mail, well if it is on time it is two to three days that way. But we all know sometimes it is a week before the package arrives at the location. So It makes me a little angry to see people like this, afraid of spending a few extra dollars to ship it better. Is he still going to ship turtles and lizards (PRIORITY MAIL) with the post office? It is legal to ship lizards and turtles with them, but IMO, they are just to unreliable to trust with live animals. I cannot see putting any animal through this. I would like to know who these people are, as to never deal with them. If you could drop me a email or private message, I would appreciate it. I buy, as well as sell there a good bit. I don't want to deal with them. This post is just my opinion. Thanks Bobby

Old 04-11-2006, 06:54 PM   #13
Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
And then this guy says he was going to ship them priority mail, well if it is on time it is two to three days that way. But we all know sometimes it is a week before the package arrives at the location.
I've sent stuff priority mail and have had it arrive a day or so late occasionly, but have also had stuff take as much as two weeks to reach its destination because the noticable "blue eagle sticker" designating the package as priority mail fell off even though the postage sticker said in tiny print priority mail on it. only candy and other incidentals, but still if it was a live animal it would have been dead.

Adrian

Old 04-12-2006, 11:35 PM   #14
dzoo
Usps

I've never had a problem shipping lizards Overnight Express Mail (knock on wood) all have arrived on time and in fine shape. I've also shipped many insects Priority Mail and never had a problem except once when a receiver was not home and they were left outside.

I have also received Live Birds through the Postal Service, day old baby chicks to Adult chickens, all arrived fine and the postal employees seemed genuinely concerned about them! On a side note isn't it interesting that you can send a Live Adult Turkey or Swan through the mail but they restrict small reptiles like turtles!

Quote:
Adult turkeys, guinea fowl, doves, pigeons,
pheasants, partridges, and quail, as well as
ducks, geese, and swans, are mailable in domestic mail.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:51 PM   #15
hhmoore
Oh, now I GOTTA mail somebody an adult turkey,

Old 04-13-2006, 01:19 AM   #16
WebSlave
Has anyone ever actually researched this and determined whether the Domestic Mail Manual has the force of federal law behind it? I did some research a while back, starting with the creation of the US Postal Service and related documents, and the very first time that shipping snakes is even mentioned is within that Domestic Mail Manual. Which, I believe, is nothing more then internal guidelines. I could not find ANYWHERE that it was stated that there is actually a federal law on the books prohibiting anyone from shipping live snakes through the USPS. But perhaps I have just overlooked it and someone else has had better success finding it.

I actually intended to write to the US Post Master General about this, but just never got a round tuit.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:31 AM   #17
varnyard
Answer to question on Federal laws. USPS.

Well, I just learned today turtles are not allowed with them. Anyway, Rich here is the information you asked about.

Quote: 9.3.3 Small Cold-Blooded Animals
Small, harmless, cold-blooded animals (except snakes and turtles) that do not require food or water or attention during handling in the mail and that do not create sanitary problems or obnoxious odors are mailable (e.g., baby alligators and caimans not more than 20 inches long, bloodworms, earthworms, mealworms, salamanders, leeches, lizards, snails, and tadpoles).

9.6.5 Criminal Penalties
18 USC 1716B provides criminal penalties for mailing anything nonmailable under 39 USC 3014(b), unless the item is excepted under USPS regulations. 18 USC 1716D provides criminal penalties for mailing anything nonmailable under 39 USC 3015(c) and (d).

And the ones to enforce it.

US Fish and Wildlife Service
US Department of the Interior
18TH and C St NW
Washington DC 20240-0001

Old 04-21-2006, 11:54 AM   #18
HerpLuver
Gotta love that "Except Snakes and Turtles" there is a HUGE variety of snakes and turtles out there, and they've just made it a generalization. Show's how close minded our government and postal service are.

Old 04-22-2006, 01:21 PM   #19
Dennis Hultman

Even if it were legal, you would still have people willing to cut costs further like this current ad in the classifieds.

Quote:
rough green vine snakes. 45$ es breeding in a greenhouse in my back yard. 22$ express, or 10.50 priority, express is guarenteed with proof of DOA by email with a pic and dead snake sent back.

The instances of shipping snakes priority mail would probably increase.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!