2006 Highlights - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #11
Serpwidgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighanne
Aawwwww, those Babies are SO cute!!! Hey where do you live?? Can I come to your house sometime!? LOL Those "twins", are they gonna live?? Poor guys!
These twins were not viable and were put down immediately.

Quote:
How does that happen? Is it from all the inbreeding??
Twinning seems to be predisposed in this female, just like some humans seem to be more prone to twinning. She (a snow het hypo motley) had twins in 2003 when bred to an unrelated male (lavender het amel) and had these when bred to a different unrelated male, a hypo charcoal.

I don't think that the birth defects we find in our herps are necessarily related to inbreeding, and I haven't noticed a higher rate when the hatchlings are the result of inbreeding. There's a certain chance that things will just go wrong in any species. In humans the rate is significant, for example:
· In China the rate was 13.1 per 1000 births (1.3%) in 1987 and 1996.
· In developing countries it is approx 78.6/1000 or 7.86%.
· In Arizona in 1995 there were 19/1000 (1.9%) with 0.6% of births being stillbirths.

Given the hundreds of hatchlings we've produced here and only a handful of birth defects, it seems we're actually lower than that rate.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:12 PM   #12
Leighanne
Well, Thanks for the education. Fauna inspires me! I want to be a Breeder, but I don't know! I couldn't euthanize anything! I would be crying to much if this happened to me! I like to Baby my Babies. I wouldn't have the heart!

Old 06-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #13
Mary-Beth is KoRny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighanne
Well, Thanks for the education. Fauna inspires me! I want to be a Breeder, but I don't know! I couldn't euthanize anything! I would be crying to much if this happened to me! I like to Baby my Babies. I wouldn't have the heart!
I wouldn't hesitate for a second to euthanize a hatchling with organs on the outside or one that was kinked so badly that it wouldn't be able to eat. It's putting the poor thing out of it's misery. I wouldn't have the heart to let it continue to live in pain or starve to death slowly.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:42 PM   #14
Mary-Beth is KoRny
Beautiful babies Serp. The non-diffused blood is my favorite.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!