white lip python aggressiveness problems - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
Elfmaze
white lip python aggressiveness problems

I am having trouble housing my feale WLP. She is soo aggressive that whenever she is awake. (Ie. to change her water or clean the tank) for the next 20 minuis ot so she will strike the glass untill her nose is bloody. then she will sit there dripping blood staring at anything that moves.

I've even tried covering the spare tank with a blanket when i'm working on her tank and she still strikes constantly at the walls. can i make her a "padded" tank, or maby drop her temperatures before dealing with her? She also bit her tank mate on the head today.

I guess shes goign to have to live solo from here out.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
ravensgait
Well keeping her by herself is a real good idea and would likely cut down on her stress which might help. Other than that I don't know what to tell you as they are known for being fiesty... Randy

Old 04-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
IloveSnakes1234
Because you're keeping 2 together may be the problem. That's why she's stressed.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
hhmoore
I have dealt with (a very few) WLPs that were just like that. Keeping another snake in with them is a problem because they will bite the other snake if they move...but it is NOT the cause of the stress (that is not to say it is not a factor, but since the bahavior continues when they are housed solo, you can't continue to blame the arrangement). Your best bet is to give her a secure, tight hide - preferably one that you can close to prevent such activity...at the very least, cover the entrance to the hide while you are doing cage maintenance - and try to restrict your activities to when she is in there.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
ssshane
Yes, you definitely want to separate these 2 snakes. I used to keep/breed them, and keeping them together doesn't do them any good. You should see an immediate change in the attitude. Hope this helps. By the way, how long have they been housed together?

Old 04-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
ssshane
Also, forgot to ad, do the pythons ever calm down? I have 1 left, and he can be held, but will bite for no apparent reason.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:48 PM   #7
hhmoore
Just for clarity - when I mentioned the "very few", I was referencing only the ones that displayed that type of behavior...only about 2 out of the number I have kept over the years

Old 04-15-2007, 11:41 PM   #8
iasc300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
Your best bet is to give her a secure, tight hide - preferably one that you can close to prevent such activity...at the very least, cover the entrance to the hide while you are doing cage maintenance - and try to restrict your activities to when she is in there.
Thinking the same thing- good idea Harald

Old 04-16-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
Elfmaze
when i bought them in january they were being housed together. but the temperment was very mellowed out because they were apparently both sick at the time. now that they are feeling better they have gotten much more "spunky" esp when they have been sunning all day. if i pick them up when there warm its like trying to hold onto a wet noodle. they don't really try to strike me when they are being picked up (besides some warnign lunges) But they will do there best to be dang hard to hold on to.

I have them seperated now. and might leave them that way. though i was hoping by living together it would help them get used to being disturbed a bit more. Probably a bad idea with a moody snake breed

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!