baby savannah tank - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-28-2008, 04:53 AM   #1
kidfreak221
baby savannah tank

ok so im getting a savannah monitor next friday and i built my own cage for it....its 6x3x3.....i have 3 questions

1. all i keep reading on care sheets is atleast 2 ft. of substrate is that true for a baby?(4-7 inches)

2. if it is should i make my cage bigger to like 6x5x3? so that way theres 3 ft above it instaed of 1 ft.

3. i also keep reading that dirt from my yard is the best substrate(so it can burrow) if thats true how do i go about doing it? do i just dig some up and throw it in my cage?or should i do something to the dirt before i put it in the tank?

thanks in advance,

justin

Old 03-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
Junkyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidfreak221
ok so im getting a savannah monitor next friday and i built my own cage for it....its 6x3x3.....i have 3 questions

1. all i keep reading on care sheets is atleast 2 ft. of substrate is that true for a baby?(4-7 inches)
You do not need that much substrate for a baby. The cage size you have now is going to do just fine. From what I have seen Savannah's do not burrow all that much.

Quote:
2. if it is should i make my cage bigger to like 6x5x3? so that way theres 3 ft above it instaed of 1 ft.
One foot of substrate should be fine, they are not really tall creatures.

Quote:
3. i also keep reading that dirt from my yard is the best substrate(so it can burrow) if thats true how do i go about doing it? do i just dig some up and throw it in my cage?or should i do something to the dirt before i put it in the tank?
The problem with dirt from you yard is parasites, bugs, and anything else that may be hiding in there, you do not really want that stuff in your home. Use Play Sand, easy to get at any hardware store. A bag of 20 pounds is usually $4, found around the concrete section of the store. Cleaner than plain old dirt.

Have an adequate water bowl, they will get that really dirty and constant cleaning will be needed, but Savannah's tend to keep the substrate cleaner that way.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
kidfreak221
cool thanks for the help, but lets say that i use dirt anyway could i bake it so that way it kills all bugs and bacteria

Old 04-01-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
Ed Clark
Thumbs up

Quote:
but lets say that i use dirt anyway could i bake it so that way it kills all bugs and bacteria
Dirt will work fine, no need to bake it. just get it from an area that should not have fertilizers in it. not someones yard, walk into the woods and dig a couple buckets of virgin soil.

What I like to add to it is some cypress mulch, that way when it dries out it does not get real dusty and do add some water to your substrate now and then.

Monitors do like to dig and tunnel, some like my red ackies will stay under ground for days.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
Ed Clark
Thumbs up

Quote:
A major concern with keeping a baby or small monitor in a large cage like that is the baby finding the food.

Just put the baby monitor in a 6 or 15 quart plastic tub and feed in there.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:52 AM   #6
kidfreak221
thanks for the help ed, i actually just found that out about baby savs and will be doing that ive been doing more reading then i think i ever have in my entire life

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!