Heating a reptile tank in winter? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
aogecko
Question Heating a reptile tank in winter?

I have one male african fat tailed gecko in a ten gallon tank. I am having no problems heating the tank right now since it is summer, but I think I may need more heat in the winter. I currently have an undertank heating pad (though it isn't very warm) and a 150 watt bulb in a dome on top of the cage, though many times I didn't need to turn it on this summer because the heat pad kept him warm enough, but it's been colder and rainier than usual. I live in northern Maine, and it gets VERY cold here in the winter, it drops below zero every winter. I would like to know what would be better methods of heating Henry's (that's my gecko's name) tank for the winter. I am thinking I should get a stronger heat pad or something for him. I know the temperatures here are a bit too cold for reptile keeping, but I adore lizards and it was my lifelong dream to have one. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Ashley

Old 08-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Kiote_9
Get a bigger/hotter heating pad and what kind of bulb are you using? When I had fat-tails I used infrared heat lamps in the winter. Is the top screen? I cover my screen tops with a heavy towel to hold in humidity and heat and had the light shine on one side of the tank so there would be a hot side and a cool side. 10 gallon tanks don't really provided much of a heat gradient. You can cover the back and sides to hold in heat, too.

Sterlites/Rubbermades are very easy to heat if you can't regulate with the glass tank.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
dimperdoo
One factor is going to be the temps you maintain in your house. Do you heat w/ wood? Fall back to electric to maintain a minimum in your house?

Can you keep your gecko against an interior wall? In a warmer room?

Keep in mind that they will do fine w/ temps as low as 75* So, it's not quite like maintaining tropical species with requirements in the 90* range.

One thing you may be more concerned w/ is humidity. I've found that totes are better for this than aquariums. Of course, w/ the geckos, you'll want a humid hide and a dry hide - so, you may not need to humidify the whole enclosure. (heating w/ wood does lower humidity though.)

Old 08-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
aogecko
The top of the tank has a metal screen cover. I do have the tank set up so there is a warm side and a cool side, and I have a moist hide and a dry hide for him. I haven't had any problems with keeping the humidity up because of all the rain we've gotten the humidity has been fine. It does get very dry during the winter but I am planning on putting a humidifier in my room to make sure my gecko has enough humidity, and the dryness bothers me also. I think a more powerful heat pad may work, I just wanted to know what would be the best way to make sure he stays warm enough since it can get cold here. Also, I heard if heated rocks malfunction they can burn the reptile, but I was wondering if that could still be an option, they had one in the tank at the petstore when I bought my gecko, and my gecko was sitting on it when I saw him, and he seemed to like it so I would like to know if it would be a good idea to buy one. Also thank you very much for your help.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
Kiote_9
I wouldn't bother with a heat rock. They don't exactly use the best materials for that type of heater.

A UTH will keep it's feet and belly warm and a nice warm lamp will keep the air warm. Covering the top of the cage (at least partly) will help hold in the heat was well as the humidity.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
rosebud945
Have you ever turned that 150 watt lamp on?? I keep many lizards, and even the ten gallon tanks that house desert and semi desert species can't take a 150 watt bulb. In winter, I get a basking spot in the 110 range and cool end in the 70s with a 75-100 watt max. Can these geckos tolerate high temps like that?

Before you decide on a plan, do you have a really good way to measure the temps? Do you use a temp gun or a digital thermometer with a probe?

Old 08-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
aogecko
Well I can't remember if the bulb is 100 or 150 watts, and I do turn it on. The under tank heater I bought doesn't really work well, it may be a malfunction or something. Also this is northern Maine, which is as north as you can get in the US without going to Alaska. And this summer hasn't been very warm since it has been raining a lot more than usual. There have been periods of time where it was in the 80's outside for temperature, but I don't even think it has gotten to the 90's this summer. It's not a warm state. I think I will try covering the top of the tank in the winter, it gets very dry then. And I don't have a temp gun just a normal thermometer, where could I find a temp gun or a digital thermometer with a probe? There aren't many pet stores around here, the nearest one is an hour away which is where I got my gecko, and they have very few reptiles, it's mostly just fish and rodents, so they have limited reptile supplies, just the basic necessities. I had to go to petco (the nearest one is three hours away) for a few things, but I can also order things online.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
rosebud945
You can get either online, and for much cheaper than you would in a pet store. Here is where you can buy the temp gun, and you can use it for more than just monitoring your lizard viv. I have a blast with mine.
http://www.proexotics.com/store/home.php?cat=248

Here is the digital thermometer with probe that I mentioned. It is not as fast or as accurate as the temp gun, but it is MUCH more accurate than those analog or stick strips.
http://www.reptilesupply.com/product...oducts_id=1714

I have to admit that I am not a gecko keeper, but if light is not an issue, you can also use a heat emitter, at least at night.
http://www.reptilesupply.com/index.php?cPath=30_70

Old 08-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
aogecko
Thank you very much I will definately look into this. And light is not an issue with my gecko, he is in a room that is well lit during the day and I am pretty sure he's nocturnal. I think I will try a stronger heat pad and covering part of the top of the tank to keep the heat in when winter starts, I just like to plan ahead to be careful, and thank you everyone for all of your help.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:03 AM   #10
dimperdoo
It looks like you have quite a bit of info here.

I just thought, to follow up, those heat rocks are NOT a good idea. They get too hot. I'd suggest those "ultratherm" mats you see advertised from bean farm. I think those are basically a flexwatt product. But, they are assembled. If your under tank heater is a "guts of a heating pad" looking thing, throw it away. Get something that works.

Personally, I don't like using lights for heat. -or having screen on any of my cages. But, others have success w/ that. And, it may be fine for your circumstance.

My geckos are in plastic boxes w/ flexwatt (regulated by a dimmer switch.) I mist them for humidity. And, of course, they have dry hides and humid. We get pretty good winters here in WA.

You know, they like to lick "dew?" I find they seldom drink from their bowls (but will sit in them.) And, they like to lick moisture off their hides and the in/out carpet I use for substrate.

BTW, all your supplies should be cheaper online. Esp. if you can order more at a time to avoid a lot of shipping costs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!