Finished building my mouse rack. - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #31
Hybridbird
Ah, that's good for you then, the small ones are still the same.Nice looking rack either way.I gotta do this myself soon, $90 a week for feeders is getting old FAST.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #32
Kingetula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybridbird View Post
Ah, that's good for you then, the small ones are still the same.Nice looking rack either way.I gotta do this myself soon, $90 a week for feeders is getting old FAST.
I got tired of that bill too! $1.50 for a mouse at the pet shops? Really? And when I sell my extra mice to them they only want to pay .30 to .35 cents a mouse. I understand the need for a profit but in the long run people like you and me start rasing our own and it only hurts the pet shop and breeders who supply the pet shop. (1.25 is the cheapest I have found. If i had a few snakes that would be ok but...)

Old 10-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #33
Kingetula
Here is the fan I use for my rodents. It's 30 inches! I live in HOT and HUMID Florida so when the temps reach 90F in the garage the fan comes on until the garage cools down to 89 or below. On cooler nights I may run it to cool down the garage faster for about an hour but not directly on them as I do when the temps are above 90F. The mice do better than the rats in the heat but a fan is needed for them both. I had a smaller fan but it really couldn't cover the area. I could have bought a bunch of smaller fans (Like those box fans) or a large one with a powerful motor, I went with 1 fan (Saving electric I hope and room). I set it on the other side of the garage other wise it's like a Tornado for them! lol! (Not that bad but pretty strong)

Old 10-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #34
Hybridbird
HAHAHA is it just me or does every garage in Florida look the same? Except for the rat racks and the car being diff I would swear thats my garage, even the door opener is the same model.Where are you at in FL?

Old 10-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #35
Kingetula
I'm in Jacksonville, the boring part of the state! (Just as dull as my garage :-)

Old 10-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #36
Southern Wolf
Just something that I did a bit different with my rack.

I use the gravity fed method as well (almost Identical to what is shown here)... and I also use the 1/4" hardware cloth. IF you will slide the valve in from bottom up... the connection end will snap up in the 1/4" hole in the hardware cloth and you can attach your hose to the connection end. This also serves to stiffen up any wiggle you may have. Basically you dont have to buy those clips and can save some $$$. I have had my rack up and running like this for over a year now.. .and no issues with doing it this way.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #37
Kingetula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf View Post
Just something that I did a bit different with my rack.

I use the gravity fed method as well (almost Identical to what is shown here)... and I also use the 1/4" hardware cloth. IF you will slide the valve in from bottom up... the connection end will snap up in the 1/4" hole in the hardware cloth and you can attach your hose to the connection end. This also serves to stiffen up any wiggle you may have. Basically you dont have to buy those clips and can save some $$$. I have had my rack up and running like this for over a year now.. .and no issues with doing it this way.
For my mice that's what I did (1/4 cloth and valve trick) however with the RATS I used 1/2 inch cloth so they can get ahold of the Hog block better and that needed the clips. (If I understood you correctly)

Old 10-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #38
Southern Wolf
yep... you did.

on my rats I used the 1/4" as well... but im not feeding blocks... so that makes a difference.

I use a mix of sweet feed (for horses) and cat food.

I cant find the blocks around me... and this has been working and is most likely cheapers... so why change at this point.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #39
Kingetula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf View Post
yep... you did.

on my rats I used the 1/4" as well... but im not feeding blocks... so that makes a difference.

I use a mix of sweet feed (for horses) and cat food.

I cant find the blocks around me... and this has been working and is most likely cheapers... so why change at this point.
Yup, if it works don't change it. I did this with my mice when I got the rats, I switched the mice to the Hog block and forgot they need more protein in their diet! Opps! I caught this pretty quick however. (only lost 2 litters) Now I mix Hog Block with the Dog food I use as seen in the picture above.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!