Need Help with ID blood python! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
cosyis77
Warning! Need Help with ID blood python!

Bloods have confused me for a long time. Could someone tell me how to tell those bloods, yellow borneo, short tail, red blood? Do they have any difference besides color? I dont have any idea with them.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:30 AM   #2
Crazy4Herps
In the pet trade, there are three species of short tail pythons; red bloods, Borneos, and Sumatrans. They are all very different in color, markings, scale count, and the shape of the head. It is also rumored that Borneos and Sumatrans are, on average, a bit smaller and more docile than red bloods, but if so not by much.

I find Kara's page to be most helpful when it comes to identifying short tail species.
http://www.bloodpythons.com/cms/

For most people, it's the names that are most confusing. Borneos and Sumatrans are often called bloods.

Python brongersmai, red bloods from Malaysia and Sumatra, have much red pigmentation and an overall rugged appearance. These are your typical "bloods".

Python breitensteini, Borneo short tailed pythons, also known as Borneo blood pythons, breits, BSTPs, or just Borneo pythons. They are native to Borneo (can you believe it? ) and have the lightest color of short tails. Out of the three species, most of the lower-quality ones are Borneos, but if you get a really really high-quality Borneo, they are the most beautiful of the short tails, imo. Breits are my faves. No other snake has the same peachy and chocolate-y colors.

Python curtus, Sumatran short tailed pythons, are mostly black and silver. They are often nicknamed black bloods, Sumatran bloods (which is especially confusing because there are also Sumatran red bloods, Python brongersmai from Sumatra), Sumatran pythons, etc. All in all, don't bother trying to interpret the name. If you want to know what species a short tail is, refer to its Latin name.

Those are the three species kept in captivity. Among those species there are morphs such as cherry and albino bloods, marble and ultra Borneos (usually known as ultra breits), chrome head Sumatrans, etc. Personally, I don't think it gets any better than a nice clean normal, but if people want to play around with their genetics, I don't have a problem with that.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:34 AM   #3
Crazy4Herps
Here's my breit from Keith McPeek. The colors really don't get any better than this!

((He's much bigger now, it's just that he's been having a rough shed these past few months and isn't looking pretty enough for pictures.))

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!