How about Bad Guy BOI thread = Inability to lock classifeids? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
DAND
How about Bad Guy BOI thread = Inability to lock classifeids?

I have noticed a few individuals who have (deservingly I may add) received a Bad Guy BOI thread(s) and post classifieds and it seems unfair that they are allowed to lock their classifieds making it impossible to link their Bad Guy BOI thread(s) to their classifieds leaving potential newbs or uninformed individuals to become their next victim(s). I believe it is a great disservice to the reptile community to allow Bad Guys to lock their classifieds. It's my understanding that this site is in the business of trying to inform, educate as well as protect those from being scammed and ripped off and in my opinion allowing Bad Guys to lock their classifieds is defeating this purpose.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
Lucille
I understand how you feel but I don't think this would work for two reasons:

There would inevitably and quickly be those who initiate a false bad BOI thread simply to be able to then go to a classified thread and dis their competitors

and

It would take the focus off the BOI. If someone sees a classified and can't even go right next door to the BOI to check out the vendor, who are we to nanny them? As frustrating as ripoffs are, people have to take some responsibility for their own purchases at some point.

Plus, this would place great liability on the mods if they inadvertently passed over a bad guy thread and didn't force an unlock, because customers might assume that all locked threads must be written by good guys.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND View Post
I have noticed a few individuals who have (deservingly I may add) received a Bad Guy BOI thread(s) and post classifieds and it seems unfair that they are allowed to lock their classifieds making it impossible to link their Bad Guy BOI thread(s) to their classifieds leaving potential newbs or uninformed individuals to become their next victim(s). I believe it is a great disservice to the reptile community to allow Bad Guys to lock their classifieds. It's my understanding that this site is in the business of trying to inform, educate as well as protect those from being scammed and ripped off and in my opinion allowing Bad Guys to lock their classifieds is defeating this purpose.
How do you suggest this be done WITHOUT myself and the mods being placed in the position of being JUDGES who determine who is and who is not a "bad guy"?

Old 04-29-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
How do you suggest this be done WITHOUT myself and the mods being placed in the position of being JUDGES who determine who is and who is not a "bad guy"?
I'd figure if they've received 2 Bad Guy threads their actions have made the choice for you and or the mods.

Heck you could even make it like the warning points and if they go a year without receiving another they then could be allowed to use that option again.

I do not think it is fair to allow the dishonest people who HAVE scammed people and HAVE received Bad Guy threads to hide their actions and continue to victimize others.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:43 AM   #5
PAVLOVK1025
Quote:
I'd figure if they've received 2 Bad Guy threads their actions have made the choice for you and or the mods.

Heck you could even make it like the warning points and if they go a year without receiving another they then could be allowed to use that option again.

I do not think it is fair to allow the dishonest people who HAVE scammed people and HAVE received Bad Guy threads to hide their actions and continue to victimize others.
Yeah but some Bad Guy threads arent even realy about Bad Guys, there's always the odd chance that its just a disgruntled, vindictive buyer.

Check it, see if you can vibe with this.

Guy sells an animal, animal dies in shipping. He slacks on the refund and has a Bad Guy thread posted about him. He takes our advice, refunds the money, sets himself on the straight and narrow, never to screw someone over again.

He sells another animal. Buyer experiences buyer remorse 2.5 weeks after having the animal. Wants a refund, but Guy refuses, standing behind strict TOS that cover buyer+seller. Buyer throws a hissy fit, puts up a Bad Guy thread when Guy didnt do anything wrong.

BOOM 2 Bad Guy threads. Privileges disabled.

Not fair, IMO anyway.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVLOVK1025 View Post
Yeah but some Bad Guy threads arent even realy about Bad Guys, there's always the odd chance that its just a disgruntled, vindictive buyer.
I'm sorry, but if you are having multiple buyers unhappy and receive multiple Bad Guy threads then you must be doing something wrong. Apparently Bad Guy threads alone are not working and something more needs to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVLOVK1025 View Post
BOOM 2 Bad Guy threads. Privileges disabled.
Exactly.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
kmurphy
Dand, IMO you're looking at this with too narrow a focus. The BOI is the thread people should check prior to doing business with anyone. It could be anywhere. A separate sight for a example. It happens to be on Fauna Classifieds. I don't agree that this sight is in the business of trying to keep people from getting scammed only the BOI is.

Why should we expect the Classified section of Fauna to do more than we expect Kingsnake, RedTailboa, etc. to do? Because the BOI is located here and not there?

Rich has given us the tool to research buyers and sellers. This tool should be used no matter where you find the ad. Buyer's should not feel any safer purchasing from Fauna ads than they would on Kingsnake's. Not to mention that fact that if links were always allowed there would be a responsibility somehow of being consistant or someone would invariably complain to Rich that the only reason they purchased was because no one warned them.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
PAVLOVK1025
Quote:
I'm sorry, but if you are having multiple buyers unhappy and receive multiple Bad Guy threads then you must be doing something wrong. Apparently Bad Guy threads alone are not working and something more needs to be done.

Exactly.
Im just saying that spite threads are put up sometimes, you cant fault someone if they have a bad guy thread because a D.muffinus decided they didnt want to feed another animal.

Devil's advocate really, Id rather see anyone with even a whiff of foul play get booted with the quickness.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #9
Lucille
Quote:

So if a group of people got together and initiated two bad guy threads on you just to get back at you for, let's say, this idea, you are saying that you agree you've done something wrong? No, you know you have not.

The Bad Guy threads are working the way they were designed, so that prospective buyers can check in and make their own decision about whether to buy from a particular vendor. It is true, newbies often buy on impulse without checking out vendors prior to handing over their money and some of them get scammed. But the BOI is a tool, not a crutch.
Maybe an idea might be to link EVERY classified ad via icon on the ad to the BOI so that the mods are not placed in the position of judges and incur liability because of it. But even then, some would not click the icon.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!