Where am I going wrong with this site? - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:02 PM   #81
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
Yes, I know. Everyone knows better how to run this site then I do. Just darn lucky it has gotten as far as it has, I guess, in spite of my inept handling of it.
Rich,

In all seriousness, and as humbly as I can possibly put this, when you ask, verbatim, "Where am I going wrong with this site?" then you are going to get responses. If you are going to treat them with that type of derision, why would anyone bother to answer? It's obvious that you just want to make a sarcastic comment when a nerve is touched. My comments did not ask for that, nor did they deserve them. Nor did they deserve the sarcasm of your previous response to me. I call them as I see them.

When the owner of the site makes such comments and gives such responses why is he surprised that people do in other parts of the site?

Next time you ask for advice, please remind me not to bother offering any as it's clear that you do not want really want it.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:03 PM   #82
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
If this site is more than you can handle with your other interests than you have choices to make. But if from the time hatchlings start appearing to the time they are mostly sold you are unable to "police" this site then whatever "improvements" you make now will likely be ignored again come hatchling season in six months or so. Then it can turn into the wild west again for six months until you decide it gets your attention. What then will you have accomplished? Perhaps the first order of consistency is that the owner of the site be consistent in attending to it or delegate enough of that authority so that you don't just wake up one day and smell the feces on your rug. It did not all get there in one day.
Good call Jim.

Everytime a failure of duty from the Admin or Mod team is brought up there is always an excuse ("if you expect us to read every post" etc, etc.) or a complete dismissal of it.

Just once I would love to hear an honest response like "yep we dropped the ball on that one" or even "thanks for bringing that to our attention". Instead of the complete and total lack of accountability and responsibility that has been displayed thus far.

Honestly Rich, I am not trying to give you a hard time in any way, bud. Just sharing my honest opinion. Like I said earlier. No amount of rules are going to change how people behave. They are who and how they are. Just look at our society today. We have umpteen million laws on the books in this country, but it has not deterred crime or unacceptable behavior in the slightest. What makes you think it will work here? Removal of the bad apples is the only way to go, not massive rule changes.

Whatever you decide to do Rich I wish you the best of luck and hope it results in a better community for us all.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:04 PM   #83
Lucille
Quote:
Yes, I know. Everyone knows better how to run this site then I do. Just darn lucky it has gotten as far as it has, I guess, in spite of my inept handling of it.

That is why I ask for input sometimes, to see where I am going wrong.

I am trying to do better, but in reality, no, this is not my main reason for living. And I certainly am at fault for believing the best in people rather then expecting the worst.

You do a terrific job with this site.
I am glad you believe the best of us.

Many,many,many reptile people call this site their home despite numerous other sites in existence.
Where else on the internet would we get asked for our input, the way this question asks our opinion?

Fauna rocks.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:50 PM   #84
Serpwidgets
Imagine a board 1/3rd the size of Fauna that doesn't require any moderators. Rich has already created such a community. IMO it is because of the "no nonsense" and common sense enforcement of plain old common decency. It has become a place where the core members police the board themselves, and in a way that doesn't make it hostile to new members. That place rarely requires his intervention, even when there is plenty of controversy. It is not "happy foo-foo love fest land" by any measure, but it is certainly a civilized place. I'm guessing that is Rich's goal.

Rich, if you think that enacting the same type of no-nonsense enforcement of plain old common decency will make Fauna a better place, I for one think you're right on target! I'm sure you will get plenty of gripe-o-grams in the process. Maybe you could make some extra money by publishing them in a Newsletter and selling it for ten bucks a copy.

One other thing: (which doesn't require specs or programming)

If you plan to keep vBulletin's rep system, you might consider turning off the red dots. We all know that, ideally, it is supposed to be a way to give constructive criticism. But in reality it is almost always given and/or received as a form of antagonism. I doubt anyone could find an example where red dots have lead to a positive outcome, let alone show that it is an overall positive influence on the forum.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:58 PM   #85
Bill_Leverton
Unhappy

I have to admit that alot of good points have been brought up here,and yes this site is what some people call home, And yes it does serve its purpose. But I feel that the site is losing integrity when the "Swanger Duels" get out of hand.When I first got here a couple of years ago this site was more about information. Now its more about who's swanger is bigger, yes there are alot of times that this gets out of hand, Jeez just look at my thread half of it has nothing to do with the subject at hand So in closing yes I do agree, that there needs a hard hand coming down and get this site back on track JMHO

Old 10-13-2005, 03:11 PM   #86
akaangela
a quick note from me. How long have you been checking these numbers? I know now that summer is over and my job is active I have very little free time. So my tiime to play on the internet is gone. I do like to check in but it is not as high of priorty as it was before. I think you are doing a great job.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:42 PM   #87
WebSlave
Quote:
Rich,

In all seriousness, and as humbly as I can possibly put this, when you ask, verbatim, "Where am I going wrong with this site?" then you are going to get responses. If you are going to treat them with that type of derision, why would anyone bother to answer? It's obvious that you just want to make a sarcastic comment when a nerve is touched. My comments did not ask for that, nor did they deserve them. Nor did they deserve the sarcasm of your previous response to me. I call them as I see them.

When the owner of the site makes such comments and gives such responses why is he surprised that people do in other parts of the site?

Next time you ask for advice, please remind me not to bother offering any as it's clear that you do not want really want it.
That wasn't derision, Jim. That was my honest opinion. Perhaps your interpretation of what I said is colored by your own bias. Yes, I am having doubts about my ability to run this site. That's why I ask people's opinions and try some different things now and again.

Old 10-13-2005, 05:16 PM   #88
Jim O
Quote:
That wasn't derision, Jim. That was my honest opinion. Perhaps your interpretation of what I said is colored by your own bias. Yes, I am having doubts about my ability to run this site. That's why I ask people's opinions and try some different things now and again.
I accept your word, Rich and I apologize for the insinuation. However, that was not the impression that I got from reading it. Perhaps you ought to come back to the following quotes in a few days and re-read them and see how you might take them if they were directed at you when you were trying to be helpful to someone at their request:

Quote:
Do you seriously think I sit here reading everything 24/7? Do you think I really care to read stuff I have absolutely no interest in? Do you really think my time is of so little value to me that I have nothing better to do? Do you REALLY think I monitor the stats at all and would note an increase such as you indicate? Well if you do, I am sorry, but somehow you have become severely misinformed about what I do with my time and efforts. YOU have 4,000+ corn snakes hatch out and see how much time you have to spend on a secondary concern like this. I am only now beginning to get into a slower time of year, as the adults are going into brumation and a substantial portion of the babies have been sold, so THAT is why I am now turning more of my attention to this site. Sorry if you got the wrong impression about any external events that were bigger blips on your radar then they were on mine.
Quote:
Whether those two passages were intended as the blathering of a self-important pompous ass or not they sure as heck came out sounding like it to me. That was my point. If you cannot control how you sound (irrespective of what you may mean) when you address someone who is legitimately offering advice it is going to be hard for you to expect it of others. "Do as I say not as I do" may occasionally work with young children but rarely holds water with adults and adult aged children.

Old 10-13-2005, 05:26 PM   #89
WebSlave
Quote:
I accept your word, Rich and I apologize for the insinuation. However, that was not the impression that I got from reading it. Perhaps you ought to come back to the following quotes in a few days and re-read them and see how you might take them if they were directed at you when you were trying to be helpful to someone at their request:

Whether those two passages were intended as the blathering of a self-important pompous ass or not they sure as heck came out sounding like it to me. That was my point. If you cannot control how you sound (irrespective of what you may mean) when you address someone who is legitimately offering advice it is going to be hard for you to expect it of others. "Do as I say not as I do" may occasionally work with young children but rarely holds water with adults and adult aged children.
Well, I guess I am not going to wait until the new system is in place afterall to implement the more hardline rules I am planning on implementing. Honestly, I would not put up with this sort of talk from anyone on my CornSnakes.com site directed at me, and I am certainly not going to take it here. If you think you can speak to me in a less condescending and less derogatory manner, you can pay your $10 fine and come back, Jim. Otherwise spend that 30 seconds you spoke of and figure out where you want to go next.

Old 10-13-2005, 05:38 PM   #90
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpwidgets
Imagine a board 1/3rd the size of Fauna that doesn't require any moderators. Rich has already created such a community. IMO it is because of the "no nonsense" and common sense enforcement of plain old common decency. It has become a place where the core members police the board themselves, and in a way that doesn't make it hostile to new members. That place rarely requires his intervention, even when there is plenty of controversy. It is not "happy foo-foo love fest land" by any measure, but it is certainly a civilized place. I'm guessing that is Rich's goal.

Rich, if you think that enacting the same type of no-nonsense enforcement of plain old common decency will make Fauna a better place, I for one think you're right on target! I'm sure you will get plenty of gripe-o-grams in the process. Maybe you could make some extra money by publishing them in a Newsletter and selling it for ten bucks a copy.
This is actually a good point, Chuck. At that site I simply refuse to put up with any crap, particularly when it is directed at me. That is my "fun" site to play with. Interestingly enough, it is a very self run site where I seldom have headaches originating from.

I am open to criticism, but NOT to blatant derogatory statements or name calling, even in an oblique or inferential manner. That aspect of this site has now come to an abrupt end.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!