What am i doing wrong? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-01-2006, 02:23 AM   #1
shadraak
Question What am i doing wrong?

what am i doing wrong? i know i'm in there alot bugging her and that is most of it, but no poop, i did notice she ate like 2-3 mealies lastnight cause they weren't in there, ummm the crix dive right under the Paper Towels and are never seen, she did chase one for a while while i was watching she did her tail slapping and ran for it but missed, i dont know what's going on
the newer pics are what i took tonight now that i'm home i dont think she has enough room, there's too much room for stuff to hide how is she supposed to hunt when they hide under the food bowls and under the paper towels, and i dont wanna leave them in there and her not eat them and they hurt her, should maybe i break off the back legs for her and just put them in the bowl with the mealies or what? well here's the new pics link
new skully pics

Old 03-01-2006, 02:37 AM   #2
perefalcon
chill,
you did just get her, put the mealies in a bowl they can't get out of and she'll have an easy time getting those, as for the crix, she'll get them, they can't hide forever

Old 03-01-2006, 02:39 AM   #3
shadraak
well if you look at the pics, the bowl is a catfood bowl cut in half, one has mealies and one has water, lol i watched her take a dive under the water tonight it was weird then she was walking thru the cage licking her head lol, is it a hard transition from going from "rack" life to up front everyone can see you and now you're a pet life?

Old 03-01-2006, 02:45 AM   #4
perefalcon
depends on the gecko I suppose, she still has to get used to her new home and all. She most likely knows where the crix are, she can prolly hear/feel them wandering under things. I know that my girl Aaliyah has a heck of a time when the crix hide in her new log, but within a day or so they are no where to be seen. She likes it when I feed her crix and take everything out so she can freely hunt. or put things in front of her hide, she gets those huge hungry eyes and stalks them a while and just before they get away, they are no longer running, she's got em. Give her time and she'll aclimate herself, just her some alone time to hunt. My male, Nip will NOT hunt when I'm watching, he prefers to be alone, if ya watch it will feel like nothing happens...the whole watched water never boils thing I suppose.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:48 AM   #5
shadraak
well i took everything out and she was wondering around but they were just jumping on her and she was laying on them lol only the once did she run after one and she missed it and none after that should i leave the 2 in there? i mean what if they get hungry i dont want them feeding on her or getting in the humid hide and her eating them in there (where she spends most of her time by the way lol, or should i take everything out of there but the humid hide and the paper towel roll for the night?

Old 03-01-2006, 02:51 AM   #6
shadraak
also, when she runs on the paper towels it goes with her like it's too slick, should i switch to sand of some sort? since she's mainly eating mealies anyway, that's what she's fed on the whole time he had her, but he'd feed crix a couple times a week would that be better for her? so she has traction and they really dont have anywhere to hide? also does that look too small to you? it does to me lol or maybe everything in there is too big? i'm gonna get little ashtrays to put her food and water in, i think the humid hide is perfect just the right height for her to get into and she packs herself in there digs around in a circle and only she barely fits in there lol, i'm glad i didn't put 2 in this cage they wouldn't have fit

Old 03-01-2006, 08:42 AM   #7
USAGECKOS
Since you just got her, you need to give a little time to settle in to her new home, she is probably pretty nervous right now. Let her explore her new home and get settled in. Once she feels more comfortable she will start eating.

As for the sand issue. Nobody on this forum will ever recommend that you use sand in a geckos tank, there is a good chance that the gecko will eat the sand, especially since you are feeding her crickets, and if she eats the sand, she can become impacted and get sick or possibly even die from it.

So, I would definately keep using the paper towels, it is the best substarte you could use. I would give her at least a few days to a week to settle in before I start to worry. Keep a bowl of mealies and fresh water in the tank at all times. When she is ready, she will eat.

Also, what is the temps in the cage, hot side and cool side?

Old 03-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
nwheat
If she's started to eat a little, I would imagine she'll keep eating more & more. I would remove the crickets, though. Crickets can be very stressful to the geckos - you can try them again later but don't leave them in overnight. And, yes, I think it is probably stressful for the geckos to move from a nice dark quiet rack to an aquarium with lots of light and movement outside her tank. As long as she has lots of hides, good temps, mealworms & water just leave her alone & she'll adjust to her new surroundings.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:12 PM   #9
shadraak
yeah i got the crix out and had some mealies in a tweezer and she ate 2 just fine , she was in her humid hide and i just held them infront of her and she ate 2 just fine, he said she hasn't been eating much the last couple of days, but they all were doing that, she spends all of her time in her humid hide, do they sleep with their eyes closed? everytime i go in there her eyes are open in the humid hide, i wont worry about the crix then until she's used to me and everything maybe a week or 2, as long as i can get a couple of mealies in her every day i'll be happy and if you look at the pics, the 2 blue bowls one has water one has mealies and dust, and a little extra incase she wants to lick it, there is a cool hide, a humid hide and a papertowel tube incase she wants to hide in something other than the humid hide on the hot side, temps are mid-high 70's on the cool side, and 85-90 on the hot side, everywhere has different temps for the warm side so what do you guys say? i was gonna try to kep it at 90, but some places say cool side at like 88 and warm side at 90, but that seems to be too hot for me i dont know.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:18 PM   #10
ZenReptiles
I keep my warm side between 88-92. The cool is about 75-85. You seem to be doing great. Leos generally don't really eat that much when they are in a new home. Some do, but a lot don't.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!