7'-6" Rattler bites man in Morganton - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-02-2004, 07:22 PM   #1
JungleHabitats
7'-6" Rattler bites man in Morganton

Well today i was making my trip to my brothers Buisness to pick up a plastic order.Well as i pulled up in the lot i noticed two EMT trucks in the rear lot where my plastic is dropped off.As i pulled around my brother approached me to let me know one of their shop guys was unlocking there out building ( he is a machine engineer) to get some steel stock he was bitten on his ankle by a very large 7 1/2 foot western diamond back rattler.I quickly asked if they guy was ok followed by " wheres the snake?!! he pointed it out laying on the parking lot as another guy had killed the snake.I went to get a better look at the rattler and i "assumed it was a female due to the size it was HUGE ! ! ! ! ! it had 10 rattlers on its tail and a head like a gaboon viper and was almost as big as a 20oz drink bottle.It was a shame that the snake had to die but i understand the circumstances in its death was warranted. The shop guy last i heard was in critical but stable condition and was being watched closely and being given antivenom i didnt get to see him as he was already in the ambulance and they were leaving when i got there .My brother told me that he was already having difficulties breathing very shortly after the bite so no doubtthat it was a full envenomation(sp) i surely hope that he pulls through because judging from the size of this rattler im sure it packed a very serious punch.I will let you know what happens as i hear more on his status .we have had several copperhead bites in the area this year with two being in schools ( baby copperheads) this is the first rattler bite here this year and unfortunatly a very bad one .

On a another note just last week the NCFWL released over 100 georgia rattlers loos in the mountains to reduce the turkey population ( to eat the eggs ) so will be interesting to see what happens this year with hikers in the woods .. 200 rattlers in linville gorge is a LOT of snakes