Rude buyers - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #41
crotalusadamanteus
Yep. I don't do people very well in general. That's why I never have a lot of ads out there. Word of mouth takes a bit longer to sell them, but the transactions are far more pleasant.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #42
baysideboas
Numbers

I used to sell cable (TV) and shoes and plenty of other things. In most sales industries we always 'ran numbers'. In most cases we needed to attempt to contact 100 new people a day, so that we could talk to 20-25 interested people a day and then we could expect 4-5 of those people to buy. To produce quota's of 15-20 sales weekly. Just about every industry i've worked in has about the same rate. Give or take. If you expect that about 75% the people that contact you to just be lookers then you will be prepared. I think people think that we are just like target online and they don't realize the time they ask you to spend too.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #43
Hoggyowner
Alright guys I can see your points you deserve respect. I think I heard something about live products and stuff. I understand this is a different business than a product like caging or something where you don't get attached to a living thing. Bad example but you know what I am saying. This is a sort of silly forum because you are saying buyers are being nasty to you but I feel it isn't fruitful in the slightest to get all upset. You meet people in this business that you don't like. I can probably say something about everyone of the people I have dealt with as buyers. It is something to think about whether or not you could be making your customer upset. I got slightly upset with the last guy because he put limitation on how to reach him and that got me angry. He took a while to get back to me and lied like 3 times. I can complain about the geckos he gave me but I am annoyed at the way he found himself higher than me. My mom thought he wanted attention. If a buyer does get upset I think it is your job to ask why even if the buyer gets rude or why they are getting rude. It could be because the person is having a bad day. Think about it this way we are human we get upset. I really like to deal with breeders but sometimes they are weird and kind of rude. I don't bother to say anything. I don't really see the point you guys are trying to make there are people in the world who are plain rude and disrespectful. We can't change their way or their personality. I sort of understand where you guys are coming from but it is sort of silly. I know I am ruining this conversation and this thread but I feel very strongly about my position. It is common curtesy. I think this now is becoming a thread about the time that is taken from you and I can definitely see how that is annoying but then again think about what you should do maybe give a lower price? or if it is that they find nicer animals then you should step up your projects.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #44
Hoggyowner
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmer View Post
As a buyer and seller, as most of us are who are posting, we would all agree that in most respects that the customer does, as you also say, come first and has every right to back out... but is it so wrong to expect a little courtesy??
Although it will happen and is definitely something you'll experience in business, every business whether it be an average retail store or a reptile business, has a right to refuse service to a (potential) customer who is unable to present themselves as a halfway decent person in general or in our cases, a less-than capable animal owner (especially us in the live product business!) I offer every opportunity to a potential buyer, if they back out, no big deal. The folks that say they are a 'sure thing' and don't have the courtesy to send me four words "I'm not interested anymore" after I've given them everything they've asked for, irritating and sometimes worth venting about... but still, no big deal. I'd say the more a buyer yanks your chain and even asks you to hold an animal (that may have sold in the length of time you've been humoring them), when they have no intention of going through with the purchase from the get-go and are aware of it, the more dishonest and unworthy of your business they are. A seller has every right to be angry or disappointed, but that doesn't mean attacking or otherwise antagonistic reiteration. Therefore, this thread and the fact that it allows folks with negative experiences the opportunity to express how they feel, and POSSIBLY educate folks on how to be more thoughtful, honest and courteous when backing out of a deal, is much better than unleashing anger toward the customer who in some cases, may actually deserve it.
This is, of course, my opinion. I personally have never attacked a customer verbally for rudeness. I always send one or two polite reminders and, after I realize they are just too chicken to be honest with me about whatever reason they are backing out of the sale, I move on. This is not a single occurrence at all, look at how many folks were able to chime in. I'd say this thread has served its purpose even if it annoys a few who disagree. Better than posting an unnecessary bad guy thread on someone!
Stephanie Siebert

Your point is a fair one. I can se why you get angry I totally understand but in the end you don't lose money it teaches you that you should deal with a customer who would also buy it and if there is a back out get him to buy it if it doesn't work out find another one. Is it really tha much time out of your day? I mean really is it good enough to know that you are not like that? You wouldn't do that. I think there is a few ways to prevent all this stuff from happening. Just have a back up guy. You can make him pay more if he really wants it. I had a guy do that to me and I felt a little annoyed but hey! business is business. You just have another guy waiting like for a few days to see if he will get it. If it is such a hot product I am sure you will have a good amount of people emailing you. I can argue these points all day and I don't think either of us will win. I understand you don't like rude buyers no one does but it seems like there are just a few of you who feel upset about it. This could be an extremely long thread if there was a seriously problem here I think only about eight people actually posted agreeing with you guys. Really guys it is their money you want if you want it that bad you should take the rudeness. Is it rudeness like; "you don't know what you are talking about" or other rudeness? I think there is a reason why you don't see sellers saying how bad person is usually. Nothing against you guys but this is silly as I said before. I think this really should be closed.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #45
Hoggyowner
This will be helpful for a lot of people I think but really you guys shouldn't be complaining, we should come up with ways to prevent these things from happening. Can't do anything without ideas. Business plans that are great have back up plans and ways out of things. Talk to my parents they are people who deal with people who want to buy either thier software in my dad's case or bonds in my mom's case. They told me how they feel about this and told me that what I said is very valid. They would never ever be rude back to a buyer or complain. To my brother and my dad/mom and I usually don't hear much about their deals I just know they have them and they deal with good guys and bad. I know this is a totally different field but the same basic principal (hope it is the right spelling). If you do want to keep complaining go right ahead if there is a complain after this post I am done posting but if you want to find solutions I will try to formulate some. I haven't dealt with that many people so far but I know about this stuff. Lets find solutions for your problems. I like the idea about not driving the whole way Jeremy. It is only fair if you both drive equal distances. I don't think the price to actually drive there is in the price of the animal. The other problem that seems to come up on here is how courtesy about dropping a deal and I think it is hard to get that. I mean you won't need to bother being upset if you have another person out there to buy it. It would get sold either way. Is there any kind of attachment to the seller? I mean I really want to know do you feel attached to one person and don't want to betray him? Is there a moral issue with finding a back up? It is good blackmail or leverage to get the person to buy. You can say, "I have another person who may want to buy, so are you going to buy?" or if they are being rude, "I have someone else who wants to buy it if you will keep treating me like this I will give it that person." I mean that is a bluff hopefully unless the person is harrassing you like crazy or being really offensive.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #46
mxracer4life
I do realize that in any type of "sales" there is going to be a high rate of people that are just lookers. That is not exactly what I was trying to say. I understand someone calling, acting interested, or emailing, send some pictures, talk price, then not here from them, it happens. What gets me is you have someone that has committed, they have set a meeting place, time etc, and don't show or call, let alone answer to a call back. I was selling a vehicle of mine, it was in the paper, I had someone call, we planned on meeting at my work, where the vehicle was, and I was going to let them look at and drive the vehicle then talk business. Well, I finished supper, called to let them know I was on my way, waited there forever, never came by, called, nothing. Same thing with some snake or animal sales ( and adoptions). I changed plans, stayed home, because numerous times I had people saying they were on their way to look at whatever it was they were interested in, then never show up, call or anything. Thats what I am trying to explain as a rude buyer. Get my drift? I can deal with some measley emails not being answered, I have accepted that, but make an appointment and for one, not show, but also to not have the decency to call and say, hey, I have changed my mind, or hey, I don't have the cash etc etc etc etc. I have had some people send me messeges saying this was a bad thread to start, but I don't think it is. It's a way for all of us to blow of steam, and maybe, JUST MAYBE, someone that has done this to somebody at one time will think to themselves and change how they approach a sale or a buy. My fingers are tired, its late. Have a good night everyone!

Jeremy

Old 05-21-2009, 03:52 AM   #47
Shadera
Just had a guy tell me my 2007 100% het clown 1000+ grams female I purchased from Greg Graziani was only worth $550 shipped. Man, I LOVE the dealing with people aspect of this hobby. This is the same guy who ran me around in circles for an animal I had for sale a while back getting new pictures and everything, just to stall out on the deal and I ended up selling to someone else.

Anyone wanna buy my stuff wholesale so I don't have to deal with rude buyers? All I wanted was to breed some snakes I enjoy.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #48
charmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggyowner View Post
I think this now is becoming a thread about the time that is taken from you and I can definitely see how that is annoying but then again think about what you should do maybe give a lower price? or if it is that they find nicer animals then you should step up your projects.
Wow. Talk about a slap in the face to good sellers out there... it's like saying 'Yeah, maybe your product sucks and it is your fault that they are rude to you and that there is no longer such things as common courtesy!' So, because you want a little more for your animal than another seller, does that make it OK for someone to lead you on or treat you badly? I wonder, do you have the experience selling and years in business, and therefore firsthand experience in this matter, to be able to be preaching this?

I think this thread is harmless, it is a DISCUSSION, not a bad guy thread. Nobody is implicated and this DOES happen to folks regularly and it's good for them to get it off their chests. You vented to your Mom about the seller that irritated you, well... we are sharing experiences. If somebody learns something along the way, discovers... "Hey, I didn't realize that that bothered folks!" More power to the thread.

I personally, have NO problem waiting for a buyer to come through, or relisting my animals when they do not. Not a big deal to wait a bit for me, I don't need a backup buyer, or to rub it in somebodys face that I do. The issue is in the other folks knowing how it affects, or potentially affects, your business. Therein is the lack of courtesy; not that we can expect everyone to have it. As I said before, not always a big deal... nobody got scammed, but a person with no respect for your time will take advantage of it and you.

This is My opinion and we do appreciate yours, although you have taken over this end of the thread to prove your point! LOL!

Old 05-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #49
BryonsBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggyowner View Post
I understand you don't like rude buyers no one does but it seems like there are just a few of you who feel upset about it. This could be an extremely long thread if there was a seriously problem here I think only about eight people actually posted agreeing with you guys. Really guys it is their money you want if you want it that bad you should take the rudeness. Is it rudeness like; "you don't know what you are talking about" or other rudeness? I think there is a reason why you don't see sellers saying how bad person is usually. Nothing against you guys but this is silly as I said before. I think this really should be closed.
I'm not a doormat for anybody. Respect is a 2 way street, if the customer wants it, they have to approach me with it. If the first contact is in any way rude or insulting, I'm done with it. I don't need a sale or a deal so bad that I'll be abused by anyone to get it.

If the the potential customer contacts me in a nice & polite manner, I'll go farther for them than I will a someone rude or disrespectful. Dunno where you get your way of thinking but I won't be following it anytime soon.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #50
crotalusadamanteus
For every action, there is an equal yet opposite REaction.

Respect is commanded, not DEMANDED. Real simple actually.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!