finaly !!! Lampropeltis triangulum gaigeae - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
Reptile AVE
finaly !!! Lampropeltis triangulum gaigeae

i been dying to work with this amazing animals ive been raisin youngs for future breeding project but i was lucking enough to find an adult breeding pair!!! pricy tag but well worth it!!!! enjoy the pictures and let me know what you guys think any advice or pointer is appreciated.

Daniel Solis
solisdann@hotmail.com

Old 03-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #2
Rjhjthomps
congratulations on picking up your newly aquired gaigeae, I hope your breeding goes as planned. Have they already brumated?

Old 03-08-2011, 01:44 AM   #3
Reptile AVE
i dint get much info other than they have been cool and just brought back to feeding im not really sure where to go from here i was told to keep them cooler and moist and hope for breeding but i still have to do a intensive search on them i did breed a few kings and corns in the past but i focus on ball pythons i have very little experience with this guys if i see no copulation i was thinking of keep cooling them on empty for another month and then try again what do you think ??

Old 03-08-2011, 02:00 AM   #4
Rjhjthomps
Maintain a steady background temperature of 80f with some higher 85 degree lighting/heat pad gradients and introduce them together if they have been cooled this winter. The female should produce a scent after her first or second post hibernation shed that entices the male into copulation, and if this is witnessed don't separate them. As first matings may just stimulate follicle development, and further matings could actually fertilize the eggs. At anytime if you account any copulation please post your report.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
D. Mong
Quote:
Originally Posted by solisdan View Post
i dint get much info other than they have been cool and just brought back to feeding im not really sure where to go from here i was told to keep them cooler and moist and hope for breeding but i still have to do a intensive search on them i did breed a few kings and corns in the past but i focus on ball pythons i have very little experience with this guys if i see no copulation i was thinking of keep cooling them on empty for another month and then try again what do you think ??
The subspecies L.t. gaigeae do NOT like temps as warm as many other tropical milks thrive in or can tolerate. I would keep the background (ambient) temps in the low to mid 70's, and a bit warmer on 1/3 or so of the enclosure at 80 or so so they can still thermoregulate some for proper digestion. Subspecies like hondurensis, polyzona, abnorma, etc.. are a much lower elevation form of milksnake than gaigeae. Do not keep them too warm. With Black milks, the term "warm" is relative. Warm-er than brumating temps CERTAINLY, but not warm as in what many other milks are typically kept at.

Good luck with those guys!!

~Doug

Old 03-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Reptile AVE
thank u for the advise guys i will keep this guys at 75 and see how they do i heard many times to keep them cooler so i will take your advice !! these guys are cool!!

Old 03-09-2011, 01:38 AM   #7
D. Mong
Quote:
Originally Posted by solisdan View Post
thank u for the advise guys i will keep this guys at 75 and see how they do i heard many times to keep them cooler so i will take your advice !! these guys are cool!!
Yeah, they will do much better at those temps of about 75 than into the 80's.

Just give them a few degrees warmer on the very far end so they have a small area of slightly warmer temps if they so choose. But most of the time you will find they like staying in the cooler temps for sure and will do MUCH better there in that temp range.

I know many people who kept them too warm and they were always trying frantically to escape from the cage, then when they found out they should lower the temps into the 70's, they became relaxed and thrived normally.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!