The Columbus Reptile show was Raided by Fish&wildlife officers - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shows & Events

Notices

Shows & Events Since these are such a big part of our business, it is appropriate that we discuss them from a business perspective.

Old 06-29-2003, 12:39 PM   #31
screamdreams
Quote:
If we dont police ourselves then the government will feel the need to police us.
Those are words of wisdom, very well said. Well, let's hope the "raid" satisfies itself, and we can go on enjoying Columbus, and many other expo's soon!! We're all in agreement here, and with new point's of view, facts, thought's, and personal opinions should help us all figure out the best way we can "police ourselves" as a community. You guys are good!!

Old 06-29-2003, 12:52 PM   #32
Ken Foose
I have found out in the past that if you don't like a law, then change it. That's what I have done several times in my home state of Nevada. It was once illegal to possess any native herp. We lobbied the Division of Wildlife, and had all albinos exempt. Later, we changed the law to make it legal to collect small numbers of herps for personal use. Hell, in 1984, when I first arrived here, you needed a permit to own any reptile, plus an import permit to get it into the state. All those regulations are gone, because we decided to change them. The next regulation that is going by the wayside is the selling of native herps. We have proposed the breeding of collected herps (ie: cal kings, gopher snakes, collard liz etc) and the selling of the offspring only, keeping the wild caught animals out of the trade. The state will charge a permit for this, and hobbiest will be able to breed their collected herps and sell the offspring. The state backs this plan, as they have most other proposals we have offered them. As far as the Ohio laws go, I'm sure they can be changed too, if enough people will stand up and do something about it. I have found that even a few herpers are vocal enough to ellicit change, as the general public really does not care enough to voice an opinion or get involved. I would push to make all native albino herps exempt as a first test step, should be easy enough to do. As for the guys that got busted because they were stupid enough to sell illegal herps to cops, tough! As far as the guys that got caught up in it and were not doing anything illegal, all the local herpers in Ohio need to come to their aid now, show the state they are incorrect. Form a group, use the herp societies, contact PIJAC. PIJAC is our best hope when it comes to local and national legislation. We all should be members. We should all donate a bit of money to the effort. In fact, for those who want change, I would contact Marshall Myers now, ask his advice, he has been around the block on such issues more then once, and could most likely help out. You can get more information and join at www.pijac.org. Good luck to us all.

Old 06-29-2003, 12:58 PM   #33
Ken Foose
PIJAC

well, for some reason (I'm sure it's me) that link did not work. So just do a search for it (google, etc), I'm sure you guys know how.

Old 06-29-2003, 01:00 PM   #34
screamdreams
Ken,

Thank you for your guidance, and words of hope to change. Before reading your post I really thought there was not much we could do, but you "making a change" first hand is very, very motivating. Thank you!!
-PIJAC -

Old 06-29-2003, 01:09 PM   #35
Dragondad
Can agree more, PIJAC is good. But as the CA care sheet proved they can only provide information. If the members dont take "the grassroots approach" and contact legislatures, voice opinions then being a member is nothing. I believe it was Rich Z once stated that each contact counts as a certain number of constituents for and elected official.

We as individuals need to start becoming proactive. Some with more eloquent abilities draft letters for those who cant. Get list of proposed laws out to everyone. All interested hobbyists needs to contact via email, snail mail, or telephone the both local and state
lawmakers. Hate to say it what makes PETA affective is they make the most noise, so we just have to make more.

Old 06-29-2003, 01:14 PM   #36
screamdreams
You're right!!!!

Let's make some noise!!

Old 06-29-2003, 01:17 PM   #37
Arboreals of the Rainforest
Some of the crap they sited for.

Here is a list of some of the crap they got sited for.

Do all you traveling vendors do this on all your animals??

Do all shows provide an on site Vet? ( I highly doubt it )

An do you all ID chip you animals? (again, I highly doubt it )

Quote:
-no documentation of captive born herps native to the U.S.
-no ID chips in herps over 6"
-no vet checks on out of state herps
-no vet on site
-no permits for native herps
Seems the Fish and Wildlife Dept just wanted to go "fishing" as it were. Pun intended.

Old 06-29-2003, 01:40 PM   #38
Uffern
I'm sure they achieved their goal, which was most likely to charge some fines and create a reason to demand as much or more funding from the federal Government next year.

Old 06-29-2003, 01:43 PM   #39
John Apple
Ya gotta wonder what happens to the confiscated animals that fish & wildlife took, how many were mislabled, and were the natives re-released or froze as evidence.
As far as being 'tough' on those that got busted, well get your permits, check your local and state laws, and last but not least WATCH WHO YOU SELL TOO, there are crooked officials that will in turn bend the law to bust you

Gee , what if they tried to control Elaphe gutatta gutatta.

Old 06-29-2003, 01:53 PM   #40
ScottsReptiles
My source was a vendor at the show(who asked not to be named).. said they boxed and taped up with little or no air holes.. and just left like that. Doubt any survived..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!