What constitutes having "so-and-so lines" - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-04-2005, 11:52 AM   #31
StinaUIUC
Oh meant to reply to this too...
"take the APTOR. By me breeding it to offspring of stock I obtained from someone else and crossed with others, would that make it my APTOR cross line?"

It's not your line until you start linebreeding the animals and achieve animals that produce offspring that are all similar in appearance.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:11 PM   #32
Golden Gate Geckos
well!

This has turned out to be quite a provoking thread! Cool! I think I see valid points in just about every post... and I tend to agree that the terms "line" and "stock" get used for the same purpose sometimes. I feel that when a particular morph takes on an appearance that is unique unto itself either by selective or line breeding, and this uniqueness can be reproduced consistently, then it is probably safe to call it your own line.

Also, I have no problem 'name-dropping' the lines when selling my stock, and agree that it does give a higher level of buyer confidence. Familiararity with a particular breeder's animals is certainly something I look for!

Old 06-04-2005, 12:11 PM   #33
montezuma
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaUIUC
line does not equal lineage...i.e. I am not linebred...and therefore not part of a "line"...however I do have a lineage of ancestors that can be traced

According to the American Heritage Dictionary-
NOUN:
The descendants of a common ancestor considered to be the founder of the line.

ETYMOLOGY:
Middle English linage, lineage, from Old French lignage, from ligne, line ; see line 1

The descendants of a common ancestor considered to be the founder of the line.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:59 PM   #34
StinaUIUC
Technically all animals have a common ancestor and share some of their lineage...but that does not mean that...say I...am part of one of Trempers leopard gecko lines...

Old 06-04-2005, 01:14 PM   #35
montezuma
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaUIUC
Technically all animals have a common ancestor and share some of their lineage...but that does not mean that...say I...am part of one of Trempers leopard gecko lines...
Get off it and admit that you were incorrect! I think the dead horse (discussion on creation or evolution) has been beaten hard enough.

Old 06-04-2005, 01:23 PM   #36
StinaUIUC
Ok one...no need to get pissy...two...wasn't trying to get into the evolution discussion...three...I wasn't wrong... saying lineage is the same as line is like saying a rectangle is the same as a square...all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares....I'll narrow it down from evolutionary to one species...All leopard geckos come from common ancestors...but one of Tremper's breeding lines today would not include an animal that is right now out in the wild....

Old 06-04-2005, 10:31 PM   #37
montezuma
Only you would argue with a dictionary defintion

Old 06-04-2005, 10:33 PM   #38
StinaUIUC
I'm not arguing with the dictionary definition...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!