Their @ it again.. buyer beware. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-03-2004, 08:05 PM   #11
sschind
Go ahead and cash the check, leave it in the bank to draw interest for the week or two it takes for them to find out its a fake, and then let them take the money back. OTOH if your bank charges you for bad checks you deposit it wouldn't be worth it.

I like Jason's idea though. That would be a unique collection.

Steve Schindler

Old 07-04-2004, 11:28 AM   #12
HerpVenue
Quote:
I get several of these emails every week. My goal is to collect as many of the fake checks as I can, and put them up on a wall in my office.....I am shooting for $100,000 in checks. It may not stop them, but at least I can cost these scammers a little bit of money (they always send the checks thru UPS).
hhhmmm best idea ever.

I am jumping on your band wagon.

Old 07-04-2004, 01:19 PM   #13
Storm55
Check out this site

There is a horse breeder currently playing this game. She's devoted a section of her website to warning people about these scams while she strings these guys along (humorously) for as long as she can. It's complete with scans of all the fake cashier's checks she has received. This is where I first learned about this type of scam. Not only does she take these scammers for a ride, she makes it pretty darn entertaining for the rest of us!

http://www.bustedupcowgirl.com/scampage.html

-Jackie Fisher

Old 07-04-2004, 02:11 PM   #14
HerpVenue
Quote:
Hello

Thank you for contacting the outblaze postmaster desk.

First - the account t_krown@keromail.com is terminated - we dont like nigerian
scam artists infesting our network, so thanks for the heads up.
Mission accomplished

Old 07-04-2004, 02:16 PM   #15
DThomas
Quote:
Originally posted by sschind
Go ahead and cash the check, leave it in the bank to draw interest for the week or two it takes for them to find out its a fake, and then let them take the money back. OTOH if your bank charges you for bad checks you deposit it wouldn't be worth it.

I like Jason's idea though. That would be a unique collection.

Steve Schindler
Anyone who does this, knowing it is a fake check from one of the Nigerian scammers, has just committed forgery by presenting a forged document. Very bad advice and I do not advise anyone to do this. You can be prosecuted for it.

Old 07-04-2004, 02:28 PM   #16
Christy Talbert
Yep, he emailed me too!!!

Paul lives in England according to my letter....Isnt' there someone we can report this to??????

Hello Christy Talbert, i have seen the price and its ok by me then i
have instructed my client in{usa} to issue the cashiers cheque to
you.meanwhlie i also instructed him to include $2500 on the payment
so you should expect a cashiers cheque of $4200 the excess is for my
shipper that will be coming for pick up.the funds will be used for
the shipping of the {Pastel Female} along side 3 other cars i placed order for in care of my shipper.i'll imploy you to wire the balance via western union money transfer to my shipper as soon as you RECEIVE the cheque.My SHIPPER will come for pick up on a specicified date that will be convenient for you.i hope i can count on you for my balance I
ALSO WANT THIS TO BASE ON TRUST CAN I TRUST YOU?...
P.S i will like you to give me ur contact info..also as soon as u get
the cheque,cashing store will given to you for by me for the fast
cashing of the cheque.Hope this is understandable by you.

Old 07-04-2004, 02:34 PM   #17
JasonBrennan
I did cash one of these checks about 2 years ago with a motorcycle I had for sale. I was totally up front with the bank that I suspected that it was a fake check (I didn't know about all the scams at that time, but still was uneasy about the whole deal).

I told my bank that I thought it was a fake, and they said "well, we can put it thru and see what happens." The bank then deposited the amount into a new savings account we set up ($12,000) and said it would take 3 days to clear. After the 3 days they said all was good, and opened the account to be used.

It took 11 more business days for the "issuing bank" to notify my bank that it was a fake. Of course, the money was never used and the bank manager was fully aware of my concerns. So, in this case, there was no harm done. They simply closed the unused savings account and that was that.

IF you do cash one of these checks, the bank WILL come after you for the return of the money. IF you have already spent it or sent the money to someone else, you are about to have a big problem. They will prosecute you (according to the manager of my bank, a national chain).

If you know it is a scam, don't try to get away with anything....it would be a really stupid reason to go to prison

Old 07-04-2004, 10:13 PM   #18
lambertjohn1
I have recieved the same exact email for three different ads I currently have on KS. The only thing different is the animals in question. I am just thankful they only email and don't call me like Jeremy Clark did. Regards John Lambert

Old 07-05-2004, 03:21 AM   #19
HerpVenue
Quote:
1. Deposit in bank
2. Collect $3 in interest
3. rejoice I made money
4. It does not go through properly
5. I get charged $30 for bad check
6. I have to go through the trouble of answering question on a bad check

Lose money and lose time. No thanks

Old 07-05-2004, 09:14 AM   #20
sschind
I didn't know it was a bad check. Heck I am a very trusting person. I thought it was a legitimate deal. I just got very busy after cashing it and have not had time to fulfill my end of the bargain. Boy am I glad I didn't have time to go through with this. I am sure embarrassed. How could I fall for such a thing. I sure hope you catch these crooks. I am going to be much more careful from now on.

Still, with most (if not all banks) all to quick to hit you with a $25.00 penalty for a bad check I doubt if it would be worth it for the couple of weeks worth of interest.

Isn't simply writing one of these checks an illeagal act. Couldn't encouraging these people to do such a thing by pretending to go along with their scam even when you know it is a scam be construed as aiding and abbetting (or some other legal jargon)

I am sorry if anyone took my original post as a serious suggestion. Hopefully, If you found my post, you had already read all of the other posts detailing this topic and realized that what I was saying was meant in jest. I would never encourage such an act and I am simply not ignorant enough to try and attempt it. Heck I didn't even use the credit card that bank one accidently issued to my dog "Buck"

Steve Schindler

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!