Heating outdoor enclosure with heat pad? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Fatman608
Heating outdoor enclosure with heat pad?

I have three sulcata tortoises all are about 30 to 40 pounds. I have the rubbermaid tortoises house shown in Sulcata Station the URL is http://www.sulcata-station.org/ and I use a Stanfield heat pad and two spot lights to heat the house. I have a T-stat that only lets the heat pad and lights come on when the outdoor temp goes below 50`F. The heat pad I have now is a 2x3 and I am ordering a 3x4 because the tortoises out grew the old one. Not all three can fit on the 2x3.

The question I have is this setup OK or do I need to put a rheostat on the Heat pad. I literature from Stanfield says that the heat pad will only get " about 30 to 35`F above the ambient surrounding air temperature". So when it comes on at 50`F the heat pad will only get about 85`to 90`F. And , please remember that the Rubbermaid house is not even close to being air tight.

Thank You for any and all replies.

Fatman

Old 12-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
jozzep
I don't buy sulcatas to not deal with these housing issues. If i lived in florida or socal i would have aldabras for sure.Anyway.....
If i were you, i would probably just leave the heating pad permanently on when the temps are below 50, and connect to the stat any other time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!