100% het albino hypo salmon to a hogg island boa or mexican dwarf boa - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-23-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
misticway
Stop! 100% het albino hypo salmon to a hogg island boa or mexican dwarf boa

I wanted to know what were other breeders options on this combinations. I am new to this hobby, i've own snakes in the past but never crossed snakes. i wanted to know others opitions on the combinations and what where the diffrent possibilities of the diffrent out comes. please show me and teach me the ins and outs of this hobbies. but please no bashing on my lach of knownledge.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
Gary O
Me personally would not cross any of those. I would look for a het albino columbian to breed to the het you have and then search for a hogg and a dwarf. That is just me though

Old 12-23-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
misticway
i was told that if i cross the salmon and hogg i can breed the offspring to make sunsets.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
Gary O
Yes.......... you could but I just am not to big on the crossing.

YOu could take your Salmon het albino to a het albino and you could make Sunglows.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:21 PM   #5
misticway
im finding out that not a lot of people like crossing. which i dont understand you dont buy morphs?

Old 12-23-2007, 10:24 PM   #6
Gary O
Just becuase it is a morph does not mean it is a cross.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:17 AM   #7
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary O
Just because it is a morph does not mean it is a cross.
Exactly!

Most of the older "morphs" or mutations on the market originate from Colombian Boas. Salmons are part Colombian and Part Panamanian Boa. Though many new mutations have been found in some of the Central American locales.

Some localities are still a rarity. Finding them with untainted blood is getting even rarer. And some it's suspected are depleted completely from the wild. This is why a lot of us look down on the crossing of certain ssp.

I'd try to pair them with a like mate were I you. Or do like Gary suggested, and mate the Salmon with the het albino, and maybe get a Sunglow out of it.

Rick

Old 12-24-2007, 09:39 AM   #8
misticway
so in order tomake morphs they can only be bred into its own ssp. lik regular colombian to albino? or salmon to colombian. or anything that is a morph of the colombian?

Old 12-24-2007, 10:13 AM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
No, you are misinterpreting the words. Nobody said you "can't" do it, we suggested you "don't" do it. Many people out there will cross any sub species they come across, others will even go with completely different species to hybrid stuff. But for a lot of us, it is an undesirable practice.

Take Hogs for example. Although there is a substantial captive population of these animals, they are no longer being allowed to collect them from the wild, if any still exist in the wild. If everyone was to use their natural hypomelanistic traits to create more morphs, and not concentrate on keeping the lines pure, than in another 20 years, there may not be any more full blooded hogs left, captive or in the wild.

Than there is the other problem. When you cross 2 ssp, there is an equal likelihood that some of the babies come out looking like one parent or the other, not always mixed looking. These have been sold in the past as pure animals, and thereby tainting the blood of someones pure animals unknowingly, until the babies are born. Now it's too late. These babies are sold as crosses, but the person who buys them breeds them and sells the offspring as pure.

Starting to see the potential for future problems in our hobby should everyone follow suite? Some of us enjoy these animals as they exist in the wild, and if everyone crossed them, they may not exist for much longer. Even pure Colombians are getting harder to find, due to the morph market, and they were the most plentiful of the ssp for many many years. Many are crossed with Central American ssp.

That's my take on the issue.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:29 AM   #10
JCCS
I would suggest that due to your self admitted lack of knowledge, that you keep the snakes for a while and study up. When you do know more of what you are talking about, then think about breeding them. The outcome would probably be much better that way.

Chris

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!