Mites - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
kingfish91
Question Mites

wats the best mite killer i should use ?

Old 07-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
harrellharrell
Hands down the best is Black Knight... Unfortunately if you don't know someone who has some on hand, you're out of luck. They don't make it anymore. They do make a Black Knight II, but I haven't heard anything about it. My suggestion is a product called ReptiRelief. You should be able to find it at any pet store, or Earl May will special order it for you. You can also order it online, just Google it. The down side is you'll need a lot, and it is EXPENSIVE!!! Hope that helps.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
jglass38
In my opinion, hands down, the best is Provent A Mite.

http://www.pro-products.com/miteandtemp.html

It may be expensive but you only a little goes a long way. I always use it as a precautionary treatment with new quarantined animals. Follow the directions exactly. My can is more than half full and has lasted me nearly 2 years. Provent A Mite is the only product that has a residual effect, killing mites for 30 days. With a lesser product (Black Knight, Equate bedding spray, Reptile Relief) you will kill the adult mites but if there are eggs, the product will have long since stopped working once those eggs have hatched hence reinfestation. Hope this helps!

Jamie

Old 07-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #4
jglass38
That should have read "It may be expensive, but a little goes a long way"

Old 07-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
ccamaleon3000
me i used NIX Lice treatment for children over 3 months any cbs can buy whit a small doses mix whit water spray it to the animal whit out bold of water or food and it work for me 100%

Old 07-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
NorthernRegius.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglass38
... With a lesser product (Black Knight, Equate bedding spray, Reptile Relief) you will kill the adult mites but if there are eggs, the product will have long since stopped working once those eggs have hatched hence reinfestation. Hope this helps!

Jamie
I too pre-treat all new arrivals while they are in quarantine. But I use the Equate spray. I get around any potential limits by retreating in 14 days... works like a champ!

Old 07-11-2008, 05:46 PM   #7
Melinda
Just a quick question for those of us with boggled memories....what's the proper way to use PAM or Equate spray?

Old 07-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda
Just a quick question for those of us with boggled memories....what's the proper way to use PAM or Equate spray?
For Equate, don't use . It's a bedding spray sold at Walmart no a product made specifically for killing mites on your reptiles.

For PAM, I take everything out except substrate. A few short bursts, wait about 30 seconds and put everything back in. If the substrate is wet to the touch, too much was used. PAM doesn't get sprayed directly on the animal. Hope this helps!

Jamie

Old 07-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
DJSlurp1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglass38
For Equate, don't use . It's a bedding spray sold at Walmart no a product made specifically for killing mites on your reptiles.

Jamie

Eqaute works great for killing mites on your reptiles!

It is marketed as a bedding spray just as PAM is marketed for Mites on Reptiles.I know several people that use it and it gives the same result of PAM at a much lower cost of only $3 a can vs. the $20-$22+ shipping for Provent-a-mite. So not only is it cheaper but if you do have a mite problem you can get a handle on it much faster than ordering online and having to wait for Provent-a-mite to be shipped to you...

By the way it also has the same % of Permethrine as PAM as well which is the active ingredient in both products...

I also know of another breeder who uses straight up Permethrine heavily heavily dilluted in water... Lightly sprays the entire snake top to bottom and the tubs as well. Doesn't harm the snake and works great. Has been doing it for years and has never had an issue.

There are several differen't ways of treating mites for reptiles...

Dilluted Permethrine
Nix
Equate
Provent-o-mite
and more!!!

Not a single one is better than the other so long as the Mites are taken care of in a safe and effective way.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #10
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSlurp1200
Eqaute works great for killing mites on your reptiles!

It is marketed as a bedding spray just as PAM is marketed for Mites on Reptiles.I know several people that use it and it gives the same result of PAM at a much lower cost of only $3 a can vs. the $20-$22+ shipping for Provent-a-mite. So not only is it cheaper but if you do have a mite problem you can get a handle on it much faster than ordering online and having to wait for Provent-a-mite to be shipped to you...

By the way it also has the same % of Permethrine as PAM as well which is the active ingredient in both products...

I also know of another breeder who uses straight up Permethrine heavily heavily dilluted in water... Lightly sprays the entire snake top to bottom and the tubs as well. Doesn't harm the snake and works great. Has been doing it for years and has never had an issue.

There are several differen't ways of treating mites for reptiles...

Dilluted Permethrine
Nix
Equate
Provent-o-mite
and more!!!

Not a single one is better than the other so long as the Mites are taken care of in a safe and effective way.
Wrong on all counts Steven. They are not even close to the same thing. I know you know this because you were part of the long thread at the other forum about mites. I could repost the information about it if it would help though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!