High shipping - what's the solution ?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:41 AM   #1
FunkyRes
High shipping - what's the solution ??

Shipping is killing me. Losing me potential sales.
For whatever reasons, a lot of people interested in my snakes (Cal Kings) are east coast - and the current 2lb rate is around $70 or so.

I look at classifieds, and see some people advertising shipping for $50 - how the hell do they do it? Do they just eat the difference, or is there a way to get a better rate from FedEx?

For me to eat $20 and the cost of a new box, insulation, cold pack - it's just not possible.

What's the deal, how do they ship for so little?

Old 07-19-2008, 02:47 AM   #2
WingedWolf
They're probably just eating the difference, or they have a deal worked out for high shipment volumes. Reptster is 20% off Fed Ex's normal rate, so that's a way to save a little as well. I agree shipping overall is getting kind of high, but it is for everyone--the gas prices are driving the cost of everything up (pardon the pun).

Old 07-19-2008, 03:12 AM   #3
FunkyRes
Thanks for the Repster suggestion! I'm checking them out right now.
That 20% will make a huge difference.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
FunkyRes
For those reading this thread - what FedEx said would cost me ~$70 - I can do through repster using a repster box for just under $50

Until I have the volume to demand such deals from FedEx myself (unlikely anytime soon, if ever) - clearly repster is the way to go. Furthermore, it looks like repster may be making a deal with UPS as well - which give us some competition in finding the best shipping rate.

Thank you WingedWolf - I appreciate the tip.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:36 AM   #5
WingedWolf
NP, I think what they're doing it absolutely wonderful for the herp community (they're not making gobs of money off it, either). As a small breeder myself, I wasn't looking forward to going through that Fed Ex certification process--now I don't have to.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:50 AM   #6
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyRes
For those reading this thread - what FedEx said would cost me ~$70 - I can do through repster using a repster box for just under $50
Is repster an actual delivery service or do they contract thru someome else?

What about their reliabilty?

Old 07-21-2008, 03:06 AM   #7
FunkyRes
It's basically a fedex account.
You put your shipping info in (from address, return address), pay via cc, and you get a label which you then affix to the box (which they provide) and drop off at your usual fedex drop spot.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #8
Geckophoria
Repster is highly reliable and will send you free insulated boxes to use for your over night animal shippments. Give them a try Ed. They ship through Fedex and are trying to get UPS on board too.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
mattciupak
so, when selling an animal you include the shipping price with the order right? so hold on...you have to send that money forth and then pay again?

Old 07-22-2008, 06:19 PM   #10
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckophoria
Repster is highly reliable and will send you free insulated boxes to use for your over night animal shippments. Give them a try Ed. They ship through Fedex and are trying to get UPS on board too.
Sounds attractive as an option, but I am getting the most reliable service with Fedex and thats important to not have to worry about a live animal showing up or not.

It is costing $70.00 plus even for the smalliest package under 2 pounds shipping from the east coast to the west coast(damn fuel surcharges).

The cost of shipping is certainly keeping a few people from buying.

I have had packages completely disapear with UPS or take days for an overnight delivery.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!