Should I be worried about my boas condition? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-30-2008, 02:53 AM   #1
kerwin0920
Question Should I be worried about my boas condition?

Hi Guys
Here's what I have ran into. It's about one of my Pearl Island Boa that I bought in in Jan. This young boy has shed once after he arrived, but never does so any more. It's feeding OK, but the color always stays more grayish than the others. More like the color they show when they are ready to shed.
Has anyone seen problems like this? I believe there is something wrong with him since he's not shedding, but just don't know what that mihgt be and what to do with it.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:32 AM   #2
crotalusadamanteus
Do you have a picture of what he looks like these days? Are the eyes blued over? Is the belly hazed or milky looking?

How is your set up? What are you using as a heat source? Seems like being in Taiwan would offer ample enough humidity for complete problem free sheds. Which makes me wonder about the set up he's in.

No shed since January seems a bit odd for a young growing Boa. Should be at least every couple months minimum, even on a sparing diet. Have you tried a long soak yet?

Old 10-01-2008, 02:33 AM   #3
kerwin0920
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Do you have a picture of what he looks like these days? Are the eyes blued over? Is the belly hazed or milky looking?

How is your set up? What are you using as a heat source? Seems like being in Taiwan would offer ample enough humidity for complete problem free sheds. Which makes me wonder about the set up he's in.

No shed since January seems a bit odd for a young growing Boa. Should be at least every couple months minimum, even on a sparing diet. Have you tried a long soak yet?
Here is a photo of the boa. I do have flexwatt under the tank, but so far it has never been cold enough even considering to use it, like today, it's around 84F/68% in the snake room. He does bath himself from time to time, but never sheds.

I don't think the belly has a milky looking, but here's a shot of his belly. His not being very cooperative today, well his not cooperative most of the time, and I don't have anyone around to assist me today, so that's the best shot I can get.

Any reason that pops up in your mind that might be causing this?

And last, a shot of the boy next door, the girls looks more like him, though some is lighter in color, but all feeding, shedding well in the same setting and snake room.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin0920 View Post
Here is a photo of the boa. I do have flexwatt under the tank, but so far it has never been cold enough even considering to use it, like today, it's around 84F/68% in the snake room. He does bath himself from time to time, but never sheds.
Says who? Did your snake tell you this? LOL Should be a bit more open minded, and offer the hot spot IMO. Give him a chance to avoid it before taking it away. He might even like it. But that's just my opinion. I've been to Panama, and it gets a bit above 85 a good portion of the year.

As for the shed, If I had to guess by the pics, that last one looks perfectly normal to me. Good sheen, iridescence doing it's thing, the folds/bulges don't look like they are dehydrated where he U-turns, and I can see reflection off almost every scale from the light above. Looks like healthy skin to me.

Does it feel smooth and normal, or dry and leathery? I think that would be your clue to take extra measures. Or if you witnessed a haze over, but he failed to shed. Extra measures would be hydration for the most part.

And I was thinking a little neonate, this guy looks to be working on a couple yrs maybe? They do slow down their shed frequency as they mature. But it still seems like it been a while.

Rick

Old 10-09-2008, 02:05 AM   #5
kerwin0920
I've turned on the heating according to your suggestion which makes good since. Though it takes time to know how much this will help, some of them are already burrowing down to get close the the Flexwatt.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
Yup. Listening to your snakes is a good thing. They know what they want or need better then us. If they are avoiding the hot spot, it's likely a bit too hot for them. But if they are seeking it out, well, it's probably a tad too cold for their liking.

Anyway, I sure hope he drops a skin soon. I'd say watch close for another haze over, and as soon as it starts, get the humidity up to assist, just in case there is a hidden problem. But like i said, judging by the pictures, he looks like his skin condition is up to par.

Good luck!
Rick

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!