New boas, and a problem - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-02-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
Elfmaze
New boas, and a problem

Just had a clutch of five baby rosies. Four look ok maby one has a retained eye cap from birth. But one has an interesting wound(?) on his underside of his tail.

Look familiar to anyone?

Old 11-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
LakesideBoas
Could it be an ulceration where the umbilicus was attached? I would definitely keep it clean and put some antibiotic ointment on it. I would also watch it to be sure it isn't herniated (the wound would become wider if it did) as if it does it could cause major internal problems. If it doesn't look to be healing in a couple of days take it to your Vet as it may need a stitch if it's herniated.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
LakesideBoas
Looking at it again, I would think the umbilicus would be higher on the body than that...although Rosy's are not my specialty. Where is the wound in relation to the cloaca?

Old 11-03-2008, 07:03 AM   #4
crotalusadamanteus
Never had an umbilical slit look like that before. You better keep it on clean moist paper towels, change daily, until you can get to a vet. If you put any ointment on it, be sure it is not the kind with a pain reliever in it. Many a reptile have become pretty bad off from that pain reliever. It's not very reptile friendly.

Hope it all goes well.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
Elfmaze
Its about 2cm forward of the cloaca. It deffinatly looks herniated. forward protrution from the normal skin level. Also on more inspection he appears to have another skin deformation about mid way on his body.

Hes an active snake though he failed to right himself one of the times i flipped him. just sat there for 10 seconds or so.

Also one of his mates appears to be dying. Lack of motion occasional gasp for air. we have him on a bit higher temp now but i don't think the second one is going to make it from the behavior.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
siberian
siberian

Thanks for the post. Sorry that no help or ideas can be offered. Just hope the best. Thanks for posting and trying to find help no matter what the outcome is. Really hoping there are other replys in case we see this again.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Elfmaze
I think a bit of good news today. it appears that the wound is slowly closing. I will try to get a measurement off it or a picture at least but it does look narrower.

AND the snake that was lathargic appears to be a healthy aleart snake now! Maby they will all live. I'm a bit worried about the injured ones first shed though.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
crotalusadamanteus
Sounds like good news. Maybe it tore itself loose from the yolk when it was born? Does seem to be in the general area as the umbilicus.

Glad to hear they are coming around though.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
Elfmaze
well unfortunatly he got wet last night. this morning when we picked him up to change his dressings some i believe it was fat got pushed out of the wound. The vet still can't see him even on an emergency untill monday at 5pm. So we will see if he gets an infection before then.

What are the options here? possibly stitching our selves would be low on the list. but what about wrapping it or.....?

Old 11-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
crotalusadamanteus
Just keep him on clean paper towels, and keep it moist. Avoid handling as much as possible, to avoid staff infection. Staff infection can occur, even with frequent hand washing. If it's possible, go get some sterile latex gloves for the handling, or at minimum, use Germ-X or similar before handling to change out the paper towels. That's about the best you can do to avoid infection.

As for stitching....Probably ain't the best idea unless it's organs are popping out or something. When you suture it, often times, any fluids that may be draining out, will simply pocket inside, and then problems can occur with the formation of different bacteria, etc.

If it is from the umbilical cord being torn loose, there is actually a pretty good chance of it healing on it's own, though it's not going to be a quick heal. I've had a couple tear loose on me, and was pretty worried about them, but they healed up in a couple weeks. Not quite as bad looking as that one though.

Hope that helps some.
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfmaze View Post
well unfortunatly he got wet last night. this morning when we picked him up to change his dressings some i believe it was fat got pushed out of the wound. The vet still can't see him even on an emergency untill monday at 5pm. So we will see if he gets an infection before then.

What are the options here? possibly stitching our selves would be low on the list. but what about wrapping it or.....?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!