Illegal shipping, how widespread is it? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
Lucille
Illegal shipping, how widespread is it?

It all started with an ad for a scorpion I answered. The vendor was willing to ship USPS; when I told him under most circumstances this was not legal, he said he would not do it.

I went to a large spider board and asked about shipping. Someone answered essentially that at USPS no one knows what is inside the box.

I said, and I think, that people who break that law are scumbags. Apparently from the answers I got, shipping spiders and scorpions USPS is a common practice.

While I don't expect anyone to come on here and say 'heck yeah, I break the law', I'd like an idea of just how widespread this is?

For the record, even if everyone does it, I won't.

My vendor says Fedex ships scorps. I have not had anything shipped to me for a long time, anyone know what current Fedex rules are?

Old 02-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I thought it was legal to ship spiders and scorpions via USPS. I've never received one~ or shipped one~ because I'd rather light my hair on fire...........
but for some reason I thought only snakes and mammals were a problem for USPS?

Old 02-17-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Lucille
This comes from an online USPS listing. It was not dated but I am thinking it is current:

525.4 Poisonous Insects and Spiders
All poisonous insects and all spiders, except scorpions under limited circumstances (see 526.5), are nonmailable. Other nonpoisonous and non–disease–conveying insects are permitted as stated in DMM 601.9.3.9 and in Exhibit 526.6.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:14 PM   #4
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
hhhmmmm.....guess its a good thing I don't keep any of them. I really thought I had read it was legal to ship them.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
Randolph's Redtail's
Spiders and scorpions where's my Raid! What about the guys that are shipping venomous snakes.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
John E Dove
Unfortunately almost all arachnid folks ship illegally through USPS as you noted but they are closely followed by the Dendrobate people.
I've had this discussion more than once on other forums so I keep this info on file.
http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.pdf

The Regulations on shipping animals begin on page 77.

Page 80, Section 525.3 states; “All snakes, turtle and poisonous reptiles are nonmailable.”

Page 86, Section 526.6 lists “Small, Harmless, Cold-Blooded Animals” that are permitted.

Given the lousy record of the USPS on timely package delivery I really don't know how anyone would be willing to risk an animal by shipping through them.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
garweft
I know a good bit of people ship frogs through them since it is permitted and tends to be a good bit cheaper. I'm still unsure about ever using them.

Now when you say illegal do you mean just illegal, or do you also mean "against company policy". I know a good amount of people ship harmless snakes through UPS which is not illegal, but is against company policy.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
John E Dove
I agree that UPS would be a violation of company policy, unless of course you did not label the package properly which would be a violation of the Lacy Act making it a Federal Crime.

USPS is not a company but an department of the federal government and their regulations are laws violation of which is punishable by fine and imprisonment.

Now do people violate these laws? Most certainly they do, both in regard to the Lacy Act and the Postal Regulations, but that does not make it right.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
John Apple
Ok here is the skinny on it
scorps can ONLY be mailed usps if they are going to a lab or institution for venom research
spiders are a no-no
ups is by exception only..and that is almost never
fedex is on the same lines as ups...my rep here said it is ok for inverts.
One more thing ...not ALL invert dealers ship illegally thru usps...some of us follow the laws

Old 02-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
charleshanklin
I heard that shipping snakes through usps was now legal. Does nayone know if it's true or not? I wouldn't do it partially because their tracking for a package is horrible. They seem to be really unreliable, especially when you really want not to be.

I am more curious as to how wide spread legal shipping is?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!