Need an apple butter recipe! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen

Notices

Chuck Kimmel's "What's Cooking?" Kitchen Whats Cooking: A cooking forum designed for fauna members to share recipes and other culinary delights with each other. Bon Appetit!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
timebider
Need an apple butter recipe!

This year I am NOT going to watch a ton of perfectly great apples from the trees in my backyard go to waste. The trees produce in cycles (thousands one year, nothing the next). This is their year to produce and already the branches are heavily weighted down. Last time they produced like this, I made lots of pies, gave lots away, but still had to pay the neighborhood kids to turf hundreds of rotten ones over the fence into the woods (you do NOT want to know what happens when a dog eats too many rotting apples...). This year I want to be prepared to deal with the onslaught! My son loves apple butter and can eat tons of the stuff so if you have a great recipe that doesn't use too much sugar I'd be very grateful to have it!

Old 05-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
artist
apple butter

i have always wanted to try this recipe...it looked very good, and NO sugar!!!
Cinnamon Apple Butter (No Sugar Added)
This recipe is made without any added sugars to highlight the natural sweetness of the apples and juice. You can use any apples you'd like, but try to pick a sweeter variety such as Macintosh or Jonathan; Granny Smith apples don't work quite as well in this recipe due to their acidity. You can also play around with the juice for slightly different flavors. Try using grape, pomegranate, or pear juice (avoid citrus juices).

Ingredients
8 Macintosh Apples, cored & sliced but not peeled
3 cups apple cider or apple juice (preferably no sugar added)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

To make:
In the base of your slow mixer, add the apples followed by the spices, lemon juice, and apple juice. The cider should just cover the apples, but they shouldn't be swimming in it. If you need a little more, add it. Set the slow cooker to "low" for 12-15 hours. (I find it's best to get it going at night just before you go to bed; when you wake up it'll be just about done.)

Once the apples have softened, darkened, and much of the liquid has reduced, use a standard or immersion blender (or a food mill) to process until smooth.

If the apple butter is still a bit wet after the end of cooking time (due to the size of apples or the range of your slow cooker) transfer the apple butter to a large pot and cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until the liquid has reduced and the apple butter has thickened (take care because the mixture will splatter).

Let the apple butter cool completely before pouring into a glass jar or air-tight container. This will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 weeks.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
artist
i am not sure how it will taste without sugar, but if you have so many apples in your backyard, it may be worth a try?

Old 05-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Craigh
Here is a easy one I use. I usually make a few jars so you can cut it in half if you don't want to make as much.
9 cups of applesause
4 cups sugar ( can use less if sweet apples are used)
1.5 T. cinnamon

Bake 325 for 5 to 6 hours

Old 05-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
Craigh
Sorry forgot to add you can make your own applesause with the apples you have

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!