Info Buyer Beware Brian Towe California - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
mickeysnightmare
Buyer Beware Brian Towe California

I received an e-mail from a guy named Brian Towe from the Modesto California area. He offered me 2.3 100% Het Pieds for my surinam male that I had for sale. After a couple e-mails things just didn't sound right; not answering questions, wouldn't give references, broken camera, ship same time, so I started web searching for info on him, nothing except where he was a buyer on ball pythons.net & a myspace account. On his ballpythons.net page he had several snakes listed but no mention of a pied which I thought was very odd since he had had her since 04 & she's a full morph. On a hunch, I googled images for a pied & found the exact picture that he had sent me saying it was his female that he had since 04 that had laid eggs in 06 & 08. I contacted Alison who owned the website on which the picture was found. She indeed said that she still owned it & he was a 450g male not female as he had stated. She also told me that he was asking her for pictures of it on a current newspaper which is what my husband asked him for to prove it was his since his camera was broken(one of my clues something isn't right). Alison sent him pictures on newspaper & within hours he had e-mailed them to me. This is just more evidence to me that he was trying very hard to convince me this was his female. I truly feel at best I would have gotten 66% hets since he has 2.3 66% hets listed on his ballpython.net page not 100% hets. Another odd thing to me was when I asked him where he got her he told me he got her from Lodi Serpentarium & the owner was Bill. This is half right, It's actually Great Valley Serpentarium in Lodi, CA but the owner is Bill.The address that he gave me didn't match the phone number given so I contacted Justin Kobylka who Brian had purchased a 1.1 100% het lavenders from & he confirmed that the address he shipped those to was the one that I found when I reversed the phone number he gave me. I have no plans of shipping him anything & have e-mailed him a link to this thread so he may defend himself if he so desires. If he had been honest we might could have worked something out.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
mickeysnightmare
E-mails

Sent: Monday, July 27, 2009 7:38 PM
To: MickeysNightmare@comcast.net
Subject: suriname boa

Hello I was wondering if you would be interested in trading your suriname boe for some %100 het pieds. I have a clutch and to tell you the truth I have too many snakes right now, it is costing a grip to feed all my snakes weekly...I have a beautiful female Barry Miller suriname that looks like your male with the big widows peaks and the pinkish tan coloring. I would give you my clutch of %100 hets and a baby suriname when I breed them...If this sounds like something your interested in let me know...Thank you...Brian.

To: brian towe <btrout56@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:34:45 AM
Subject: Re: suriname boa

Brian,

What is the male/female ratio in the clutch? Can you send me pics of the parents? Do you know who breed the parents? When were they born? What are they feeding on & how often? Where are you located?

Thank you,
Jane

Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:45 PM
To: MickeysNightmare

Tha ratio was 3.5 five bieng hets 3 visuals.They were born 1/12/09. My brother kept a pied andthe other two were sold on kingsnake, so I have 2.3 left....I attatched a pic of my female (snowflake) she is 1900 grams I have had her since 04. The %100 het pied sire of the clutch is my brothers. We have succesfully bred them twice once in 06 and 08. I dont have any pics of the babies at this time but I can take some pics if you are really interested.

Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:40:43 PM

Brian,

What are the approx. weights & what are they feeding on? Mice or rats, F/T or Live? Do you have any references? Mine are posted on my site. You can also ask any major breeder about me as well. I know most other than NERD. I do not ship first in trades except to major breeders. Where are you located? Shipping the boa will be quite expensive depending on location. I would not be interested in the males as they are useless to me. I have 2 het males already & males don't sell well. By the way your name looks familiar, have we dealt in the past? Just curious.

Sorry I'm so cautious but I've had so many problems with trades in the past. Would you mind taking a pic of mom on today's newspaper so I will know she is actually yours? I've been screwed over so many times. I know others that have been too especially with hets. If you like you may call me until 10:30 tonight & after 3 pm to 12 AM tomorrow.

Thank you,
Jane Whited
423-504-2868
www.mickeysnightmare.com

Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:41 PM

How mutch will you sell him for. I also do not ship first.

Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:38:13 PM

I didn't mean to offend you at all. I just have no way of checking your references. I have him listed for $800 OBO.

Thanks again,
Jane

Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:03 PM

I will see what I can do....I need to move my hets first then I will get back to you. I am verified Do you accept paypal? and what is the lowest you will take for him and how mutch does he weigh so I can get an idea how mutch shipping will be.

Hubby takes over
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:07:41 PM

My wife is not available, liver tumors awaiting surgery (hormones, aches, pains,...), so I'll try to reply.
We do accept paypal, at this email address, and are verified.
Trading would be easier for all. It saves you posting ads, answering emails, selling, shipping, clearing payment on several hets. It saves us dealing with purchasing other hets (around here, snake out = snake in).
Since pieds are recessive, she was trying to verify the genetics. The pied in your email is beautiful. If she is the dam and the hets healthy, a trade would be great for both of you. Posting a pic of the pied female to your myspace would work to show she is yours, solving the problem.
Thanks, Ray

PS Really like the scooters. I am a boilermaker/welder, thinking about building my own. My last was a 750 Harley solid on a FLH mod frame, but that was 15 years ago (sold her, got married, had kids). Any tips on the new stuff?

Sent: Sunday, August 02, 2009 11:58 PM

I am trying to get some pics of him for you....My camera is not working correctly. I am trying to borrow one. These are all %100 hets and look like normals. Just carry the geene.

Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 9:54 AM

If you are still interested in trading for my %100 het pied clutch let me know. I am going to just go buy another digital camera and I will take pics of the mother and put on myspace. and on the shipping. I will pay for mine and you pay for the suri. I am willing to ship at the same time if you are. I will ship overnite to your door and when I do send you the tracking info immidiately. This has worked for me in the past.

Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 11:10 AM
To: brian towe

Yes, I'm still interested. Send me your shipping info with phone number you can be reached at, I will need it for the package. What day & time will you be able to ship? What carrier are you shipping by? I'm certified with FedEx.

Thanks,
Jane

Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 11:54 AM

I would be shipping overnite fedex also. I can ship Today if you like, but the only thing is I will not have extra cash to purchase my digital take pics of Snowflake until payday. I thought I had pics of her on my comp but I cant find them. If you like we can wait until friday when I get paid. I wouldnt be able to ship them until monday tho. Either way let me know..Would you be interested in any normal big females?

Brian Towe.
XXXX XXXX XXXXX.
waterford CA,95386.

Sent: Monday, August 3, 2009 9:19:43 AM

He just ate on Sun. I still need your number for the package. What time will you ship out? What carrier will you use? When was the pic taken of mom that you sent me? When did you last feed the 3 het females? Are the sex of the females guaranteed? I guarantee all sex, health & live arrival. Also I'd like to have a pic of the sire as well for their webpages.

Thanks,
Jane

Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 12:35 PM

Oh im sorry I thought I sent it....(209)874-1176. I do have a pic of the sire on my comp. I fed them last friday. So you do not want all five 2.3. you just want the females? You let me know when you would like me to ship them as long as you ship the suri same time. I ship overnite FedEx.

Sent: Monday, August 3, 2009 5:12:25 PM

Brian,
Sorry for the delayed response. This afternoon has been very busy. Wed. or Thurs. would be great for shipping. He had a jumbo rat so he should be good by then. Just curious who produced snowflake? She is gorgeous! I'm only interested in the females. Males I have no use for. I have over 300 & a major food bill every week, lol. Can you send me pic of the sire for their pages? What are they eating? Will this work for you? What time will you be shipping EST?

Thank you,
Jane

Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 12:00 AM

I purchased her at the sacramento reptile show in oct 2004 she was only 100 grams at the time I paid alot more for her back then compared to the prices now...I am not exactly sure what the guys last name is but I do know his first name was Bill. He was the owner of Lodi Serpentarium down by sacramento CA. I can see if I can find out his last name for you. Here is a couple of older pics of the sire about 6 months ago. and the only pic I have of my female suri. I really need to get a camera and update all my pics....lol. Do you happen to have more pics of the male suri. When I ship I will ship early as I can to make sure they get to you by the next morning and I will also send you a copy of the tracking info. Just let me know exactly what day you want to and send me all your shipping info.

Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 12:19 PM
To: brian towe

He just ate on Sun. I still need your number for the package. What time will you ship out? What carrier will you use? When was the pic taken of mom that you sent me? When did you last feed the 3 het females? Are the sex of the females guaranteed? I guarantee all sex, health & live arrival. Also I'd like to have a pic of the sire as well for their webpages.

Thanks,
Jane

Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 12:15 AM

Oh I almost forgot. They are eating 1 live adult mouse for me weekly. None of them have refused a mel so far, they are very good eaters. I havent tried to offer them frozen thawed.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Aug 3, 2009 8:58 PM
To: Cichlidsandherps@mindspring.com
Subject: Male Pied

Just wondering if the male pied breeder on your site is still in your collection? I believe someone has stolen his pic. Just trying to confirm before I get scammed.

Thank you,
Jane Whited
www.mickeysnightmare.com
423-504-2868

Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 9:16 AM
Subject: Re: Male Pied

Hello,

Yes, he is still here. Where did you see the pic?

Thanks,

Alison

Old 08-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Slipmattic
i smell a scam...

Old 08-16-2009, 01:22 AM   #4
JG1153
This guy is also emailing me about that same clutch. I'll post his emails in a bit. This sucks! I bought a supposed 100% het pied pair from him last year, which is how he has my info. Now I'm wondering if he scammed me on that pair?

Old 08-16-2009, 02:00 AM   #5
ForkedTung
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG1153 View Post
This guy is also emailing me about that same clutch. I'll post his emails in a bit. This sucks! I bought a supposed 100% het pied pair from him last year, which is how he has my info. Now I'm wondering if he scammed me on that pair?
Not only are past behaviors indicative of present behaviors but vice versa.
Best of Luck!

Can't wait to hear what Brian Towe has to say about his apparent misrepresentation, photo theft and all around scamming techniques.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:18 AM   #6
JG1153
unfortunately I'm out of town at the moment and won't be back for a little while but as soon as I get back home I'll be looking more closely into this whole matter and at Mr. Towe. Maybe I can have something done about my last transaction with him through my bank considering this new disturbing information regarding his business practices.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:44 AM   #7
jayefbe
This guy is smarter than your average scammer, which is scary. He did his homework, and had a fairly convincing story at first. Of course the warning signs (no camera for one) were there.

Just a question, why would someone agree to take and send a picture of their snake on a current newspaper for someone that requests it? Didn't Alison know what was going on?

Old 08-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
birdman123
Let me get this start, so some scammer is selling these snakes and says I'll give you a picture but requests the picture from a newspaper or requests it from Alison to send it in? I'm confused.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
Wolfy-hound
From what I read...
The scammer is pretending to have a snake to sell. When asked for a pic of said snake on a currant newspaper to prove he actually has it, he instead emailed someone else with a pied snake and requested a pic of THIER snake on a currant newspaper, to prove THEY had that snake. Then he used that picture to represent HIS supposed snake(which I would guess doesn't exist).

Pretty ballsy, becuase not only did he steal someone's pic to scam people with, he's actually requesting more pictures in order to scam people BETTER. If he had a snake, and only used a "representative picture" to show what his snake 'sort of looks like', he would not then go on to request another picture of that other snake to represent his own. That's no misunderstanding of "I thought it was the snake I'd be buying IN the picture!" and "The snake in the picture is not the actual animal, but looks just like it". That's blatant lying and scamming.

Good catch.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #10
birdman123
Current newspaper??? Why a current newspaper why doesn't he get a picture that he has instead of using a newspaper because it has the name of the guy who has it? Or is it a ad actually?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!