Pet Store burns down in NJ - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 03-27-2002, 01:51 AM   #1
Ciro Spina
This past weekend a pet store in NJ caught fire.  I believe 2/3 of his animals died.  There was even something in the paper about a nearby deli trying to help a bunny that was severely burned and ran from the store.  Pretty sad story.  I feel really bad for the animals that perished and that are hurt.

Allegedly, a heating element in a snake tank (I guess it was a heat rock) malfunctioned and started a fire).  I am just wondering what everyone thinks about different heating elements, i.e. lights, heating rocks, heat tape, etc).  What do you think the safest heat source is ?  Has anyone else had any problems regarding heating sources?

Ciro Spina

Old 03-27-2002, 07:35 AM   #2
southamptonherps
Having worked in the electrical trade for 30 years I would say the safest way to heat in the home is use a modern portable electric heater to heat the whole reptile room. The industry has come a long way with these heaters in the area of safety. I prefer the oil filled type. If extra heat is needed I would use a standard clamp on dome fixture with a ceramic heat emitter or reptile bulb in it. If I only had a couple of animals I'd keep them in aquariums with all metal lids and use the dome fixture for heat. I personally don't trust heat rocks, UTH's or heat tape. Especially heat tape since it requires you to make connections, a loose improperly made connection is a fire waiting to happen. All of these products should be kept away from combustable materials. All sources of heat have a certain amount of danger inherent in there use and should be used with caution. IMHO

Old 03-27-2002, 10:21 AM   #3
HallsHerps
much agreed .... 12 yrs myself in the electrical field , and seems that anytime you have " human connctions" you have more chances for human error as  was stated on connections on heat tapes etc.Also a good idea NOT to do is use outlet strips that are not rated for the wattage plugged into them.Lots of people will use a $10 power strip and most are not fault protected this gives way to overheating of the Wire in the cord its self and can pose fire problems. so keep that in mind for any one who has racks and has several hi wattage lights plugged in and heat tapes also, oh and one more lil note always make sure the light domes you use are rated for the wattage of bulb being placed in it Ex dont use a 150 w light in a socket thats rated for say 60 watts . etc ..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!