Undercover agents - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
Nile.man
Undercover agents

Im just letting you all know we have under cover agents on this site and they are watching all of us not to scare any one away but it is the truth so PLEASE watch who u are sellig to ......

Thank you
have a good day

Old 06-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
CaptainSpaulding
Not an issue for those that don't break the law... I hope the careless ones do get arrested.

Good lookin out though, everyone may not realize considering some of the posts here.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
snowgyre
What? Under cover agents on one of the biggest reptile sites on the internet? Who knew!

Good! I hope the people who are violating the current laws get caught! Smugglers and illegal wildlife collectors shouldn't be on here anyway and certainly shouldn't be encouraged to stay. They're the ones that make the entire industry look bad, and nobody should be buying animals from them anyway!

Old 06-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
Mac's Morphs
I am wondering if anyone knows of websites or anywhere that tells what species are legal/illegal to keep in which states. I have heard several different things on different species and no one with a straight answer. I have checked with local places like DNR and DOA of my state with whats legal here and people seem to think otherwise.

Also that way people know have a link to know if they are allowed to keep certain species and whatnot, I know people most likely break the law all the times because they are not informed of certain things.

Mitch

Old 06-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #5
polasian
Moved from the Turtles/Tortoises classifieds.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
snowgyre
Mitchell, kingsnake.com has a page with state legislation links, but unfortunately many of these links are dead (like the ones for Georgia). If you go to kingsnake's homepage, you'll see a drop down menu on the left side of the page that says Reptile Law Database. HERE'S the link for Michigan's laws, although I see they just have the DNR homepage linked.

I dug into the legislation a bit for you though. Here are a few key laws:
NREPA Act 451: (2) A person shall not take, trap, catch, or fish for reptiles or amphibians for commercial purposes unless he or she purchases an annual commercial reptile and amphibian license for a fee of $150.00.

I can't find any laws prohibiting the ownership of exotic reptiles, although native reptiles and amphibians appear to be protected by the law above if you plan on selling them. So, unless you have a license, a lawyer could probably tag you for selling native herps without a collection license.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
Jay the Turtleman
How do you know they're not in uniform???

Old 07-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
Mac's Morphs
I check with everyone here in Michigan, all the offices and everything and talked to several different people who work for the state of Michigan and everyone said that you can not catch and keep any turtles that are protected in Michigan. They did say you can buy and sell any turtle(even native protected turtles) as long as you have proof of purchase for them and that they were either CB or legally WC. So as far as I know and was told by several people who worked here in Michigan it is not illegal to keep or own any turtle as long as it was purchased as CB or legal WC and have proof of getting them.

Anyone else on here let me know if you think otherwise for Michigan. I am sticking to what I saw just because DNR and DOA state wildlife officals have all told me that.

Mitch

Old 07-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #9
zzzdanz
Hey Mitchell,
There was some info. posted for turtles in Mi. on the spotted turtle forum on Kingsnake.
I think it was posted last summer so you might have to look around for it.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:56 PM   #10
turtles
i hope they catch the crooks that sell animals that cant be sold

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!