Snake Rubbing His Head... Help! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
Dawn Zimmerman
Unhappy Snake Rubbing His Head... Help!

I noticed a new small white thing/area sticking up on the left side of the big scale on my cave dweller's head Sunday night. I also saw him rubbing that side of his head against the glass. I did notice him sliding his head up against the glass twice before but it was much less obvious, don't remember if it was the left both times, or each side. The white spot/skin/whatever is new, though, as I keep an eye on him regularly.

I am trying to get him a vet appt. asap. The university was closed yesterday and today they are not answering the phone, so I emailed. I also tried to contact the seller and another person I know who is very knowledgeable about beauty snakes but we keep missing each other. He is my first snake and I want to do whatever I can to make sure he is healthy and happy. Does anyone know what that spot is and what I can do about it until I get him to the vet?

Old 07-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
Utta
Post a pic of it please.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
Dawn Zimmerman
The small white area that was sticking up turned out to be an old wound that had healed, but the rubbing was what I had suspected but in a different place...

I took Riley to the reptile vet nearby earlier today. It turned out that he had an abscess in the way back of his mouth on the left side. I was told that he probably got it when he bit something or when he was swallowing a rat and it scratched him or bit him on its way down. I have had him a month and he has never eaten for me. Apparently that is why he would not eat for me, he was in pain. The vet removed the pus with a tweezers and gave Riley a shot of antibiotics. Because Riley wasn't eating as he is used to he was way too thin and so the vet force fed him a lubed small rat and gently worked it down toward his stomach in order to jump start his hunger response so that he will eat on his own again when I feed him next week. I was told a week ago that it is normal for an adult cave dwelling ratsnake to go a month without eating sometimes and not to worry. Not ever having a snake before of any kind I had no idea that Riley was too thin! Thank God I was still worrying about his not eating because I am such a newbie and I tend to worry, saw a white spot and raised bit on his head (which turned out to be an old healed up wound), and noticed him rubbing his head on the left side against the glass. I had an iguana many years ago that had an abscess on her nose that had to be lanced and she was rubbing her head on the glass the same way Riley was. I will be shooting him up with antibiotics every three days.

Through all of this Riley was very good! He wriggled and threw coils like hell when his head was being held with his mouth forced open and gaped a bit and hissed a bunch in between the mouth exam and the force feeding about 5 or so minutes later, but... he did not try to strike or bite anyone! He didn't even flinch or make a sound when he got the shot. He's a very, very mellow snake with a sweet temperament. The vet is great and so is the tech and the staff. I take him back in three weeks for a follow up visit. Hopefully, the infection will clear up and Riley will be feeling like his old self very soon. I will be offering him dead as well as live next week as the vet instructed because I really want to switch him over from the live food he was fed by his previous owner who had had trouble trying to switch him over. I will be scenting the dead rat with the live one.

The vet also pointed out to me that Riley's trachea opening was previously damaged and had healed asymmetrically. He believes that is why Riley can be kinda noisy (he rattles a bit) when he breathes sometimes. As he seems to be able to breathe fine a part from the rattling on occasion, the vet told me that the opening should be okay as it is. Thought I'd let you know how Riley was doing.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
TheFragginDragon
Fantastic news that the vet was able to identify the problem and help Riley out! Best of luck for a full recovery!

Old 07-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Dawn Zimmerman
Thank you so much!

I only wish there was someone here in Madison that I could learn from! If I had known he was too thin or how to look inside his mouth other than when he yawns I would have known to take him in a lot sooner and could have prevented some of his pain and suffering.

I am very happy, though, that the vet figured out the problem so that Riley could be helped!

Old 07-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
Bob Kite
Glad to hear you found out the problem Dawn, hope he gets better soon for ya.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
Helenthereef
Sounds like you have found a great Vet, Dawn, and that's more than half the battle.

Regarding being a newbie, and not knowing what is normal, I'd really suggest posting photos of your snake - people on here are great at giving you the benefit of their experience - you just haven't to be too sensitive

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!