Kings Compared To Milks - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
mike goodeyon
Kings Compared To Milks

I have 2 juvenile snakes, one a California King, the other a Pueblan Milk. Both are in ideal habitat with low light conditions. Both have shed since I've had them (1 month).
The king is cool. He investigates his cage, climbs his limb, eats when fed, and comes up to the glass to observe me when I observe him. The milk is a total recluse. It only comes out at night (I know they are nocturnal) and runs and hides if you approach his cage. He has only eaten once since I've had him. His colors are vibrant and he appears healthy.
My question is: Are these just characteristics of the species? Will the milk act more like the king as he matures? If I want a more outgoing snake should I sell the milk and buy another king (Thayeri)? I did a lot of research on these snakes before I bought these but this milk seems odd to me. I know this is a long thread but I need some input.

Thanks, Mike

Old 08-17-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Payara
My milksnake is just like yours Mike. I have had him for close to a year and not once have I seen him in the act of eating. I always have to place the mouse in his hide and give him time and space and when he feels comfortable he eats it. For the longest time he used to defecate on me whenever I held him . My snake is still young so I don't know if his temperament will change. The kingsnakes I have worked with are completely opposite, they were all aggressive feeders and always roaming the tank.

I got tired of my elusive milksnake that I went out and bought a Bredli Python.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
mike goodeyon
Kings Compared To Milks

Thanks for your reply. If your milk still acted like that after a year, my milk
may be going bye bye. I like the kings personality. If they are handled a lot when their young, do you think they would be passive as adults ?

Mike

Old 08-18-2010, 01:29 AM   #4
Payara
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike goodeyon View Post
If they are handled a lot when their young, do you think they would be passive as adults ?

Mike
Are you asking about the king of milksnake?

I don't have too much experience working milksnake, actually mine is the first one I've worked with, so I have no clue if they will be more passive and be out more. But I can tell you mine stop crapping and pissing on me every time I hold him...it's some improvement in the right direction. He's still flighty and unsure, hopefully that will change.

The kings I worked with had great temperaments, but they were handled on daily basis for educational programs. They were very active and always exploring.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:49 AM   #5
AK907
The milks I've had were usually reclusive as well, with the exception of a few who were quite active and even spent most of their days slithering and hanging out in the trees and vines I had set up in their terrariums.

Kings I have/have had have always been feisty, especially my calis! A lot of people talk about kings being docile, but my personal experience is the opposite. I love my current cali king but I'd rather reach my bare arm into an atb terrarium than his. He is the orneriest creature I've ever had and never fails to try to light me up when I change his water or work around his cage. He is the exception, though. Like you, the kings I've had do tend to be a little more outgoing and often patrol their tanks endlessly once they got settled.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
lovin2act
All of my Milks hang out in the open by the glass doors of their cages and watch everything I do most of the time. Unless they go into blue they are usually out and about doing something entertaining to watch

Old 08-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
bigjej
All my kings follow me around as well but except for one which is a bit more docile, or lazy, the rest constantly try to bite me or anything that moves in their cage. I havent been able to handle most of pets as often as I'd like this past year which is probably the reason so I've started devoting more hand time to them. The worst is the 5 ft carpet python I bought from someone as an allegedly extremely docile snake. Well he kind of was but after I trained him onto FT rats he decided one day that my warm hand was a better target. He didnt like the taste and let go immediately but left me a painful set of puncture marks. I really need to work with him now.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:33 PM   #8
mike goodeyon
I'm going to close this thread and want to thank everyone who gave a reply.
Your comments have been very helpful.

Thanks, Mike

Old 09-05-2010, 01:12 AM   #9
RussellA
Too bad you closed the thed

I have had Kings and Milks and they are both the same and different. I know..."what does that mean?" I've had outgoing Kings and Milks as well as reclusive Kings and Milks. I personally think it is all up to the snake. Some are more curious and some are more cautious. If you want to see my Black Milk Snake being "social" and not hiding look at my videos on my facebook page. Just type in russellallen55 in the search and you'll see him,(along with my other vids.).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!