Please help me figure it out! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 01:14 AM   #1
hdavidf309
Please help me figure it out!

trying to figure out if i want a rhacodactylus chahoua or a rhacodactylus sarasinorum....or should I get a really nice rhacodactylus ciatalis (harlequin)? Decisions decisions. Let me know what you think. I want to breed with crested to get a hybrid... I know some of you frown upon that sorta thing, but its gonna happen regardless, so you should just help me on this one. haha. talk soon!!!

Old 08-19-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
jeffwyatt81
This doesn't belong in the classifieds, you should post here in the forums section and make your decision then you can post a wanted ad for what you are looking for in the classifieds.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...splay.php?f=93

Old 08-19-2010, 02:45 AM   #3
polasian
Moved from the classifieds.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
hdavidf309
thanks....I'm sorry for putting it in the classifieds, but I thought since it was "WANTED", that it applied. My bad! ANYWAY....I want your answers people!!! Haha.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
HopkinsHerps
I am currently pairing Crested/Chahua, & Crested/Sarasinorum (never seen these yet, but I am told they will cross) I know some people don't like it, but why not be different ? If they can breed in the wild, why not in my house. Good luck

Old 08-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
Rhaianon19
if you want to breed a hybrid i say go with the chahoua because crested x chahoua hybrids are stunning! The sarasinorum can be flighty and I think a sarasinorum x crested would probably look like a crested with no crests. if you just want a cool Rhac though I vote leachie or gargoyle gecko! lol

Old 08-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
hdavidf309
I've concidered gargoyles too, but I want a female breeder, and even though it HAS been done, its hard to breed gargoyle x cresteds because of gargoyles' temperment. I dont want anything bad to happen to my cresteds in other words. as far as Leachies go, I would love to own one, but again- I want to breed with cresteds, and I am pretty sure that can't work. haha. Plus, very expensive. Comments on this????

Old 08-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
jeffwyatt81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaianon19 View Post
if you want to breed a hybrid i say go with the chahoua because crested x chahoua hybrids are stunning! The sarasinorum can be flighty and I think a sarasinorum x crested would probably look like a crested with no crests. if you just want a cool Rhac though I vote leachie or gargoyle gecko! lol
Leachies & gargs are my favs. If your looking to breed for resale I think you will have a tough time selling hybrids as many people frown upon it(myself included), imagine selling these animals off, many people breeding them and then who knows 10 years down the road there may not be any pure lines to work with, if you plan to do it more so as a small project for you and either keep or cull the animals I say go for it but don't cloudy up the gene pool for rhacs by selling them off, each species of rhacs are all amazing in their own right. So ask yourself if you are willing to house all the hybrids you produce for the life of those animals, caging, bedding ,food, supplies, etc... can get expensive so these are all things that you need to REALLY think about before doing hybrid crosses. JMHO

Jeff Wyatt

Old 08-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
hdavidf309
I appreciate the oppinions stated. I know that alot of people frown upon hybrids, so I knew this was coming. Money isnt really a problem for the care of the animals, but I suppose a part of me agrees with the oppinion you said about hybrids. So Jeff, what do you think about this- my only male Crested gecko is only that olive color. If I bought another female with an awesome pattern (maybe harlequin?) and bred them, do you think I would turn out having a good pattern, or no? BTW he is housed with 1 other female crested (that we think actually may actually be part chahoua by the bone structure in her head and body). She is a bright yellow brindle, and is pretty chill. She actually COULD BE gravid right now. Too early to tell. Give me your input!

Old 08-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #10
HopkinsHerps
I personally am trying the "Hybrid" thing for my personal collection. Who is to say that there aren't any "mutts" in the wild or the genes of all our collections ? I just want 1 to Dave. Usually when you breed a pretty Crested to a dull Crested, you usually get 1 nice baby & 1 dull baby. I have bread 600+ Cresteds & a few made me think of the "mutt" thing just buy the way they looked.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!