Attn Importers Hassan Salaam of Katoto General Supply in Tanzania BAD RIPP OFF!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-06-2003, 07:28 AM   #1
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Attn Importers Hassan Salaam of Katoto General Supply in Tanzania BAD RIPP OFF!!

I want to start by warning everyone of this person. I originally was in contact with this person to export and supply me with animals from Tanzania.(Katoto General Supply in Dar Es Salaam Tanzania) Well over a year ago, I placed an order with him. He asked that I send partial payment up front to help cover the cost of paperwork and such. (Which is most the time a normal occurrence in Importing). I did so and send the amount he requested. He then proceeded to give me every excuse in the book on why he could not send me my shipment. (My license has expired, my family was just killed in a train crash, I don't have enough money to get the animals, etc. etc. etc. Well here it is over a year later, he finally agrees to send me the shipment but not what I ordered. He decided to send me what he wanted to send. (Basically non C.I.T.E.S. animals which do not cost him anything really to acquire. The shipment arrived on Wednesday night and was cleared yesterday morning. Well 90+ % of everything in the shipment was D.O.A. and the animals that are alive do not all look so hot. I informed him of this and he now states that he knew I was going to say this before he even sent the shipment, and that is why he did not send the animals I ordered. Now mind you all, I import from Tanzania roughly 1 time per month from my other supplier and have never had a problem like this from him nor from any other supplier in any other country I import from. By the calculations of the money I sent up front to him and the animals that are alive he still owes me money. He says he does not owe me anything and he does not need my buisness and that no matter what I say to anyone it will not hurt his buisness with his other customers here in the US. Well I just want to warn other importers as well as anyone else out there that might think they can import from him and get great prices. This guy is a total rip-off and should be avoided like the plague!

Old 06-06-2003, 07:40 AM   #2
KNOBTAIL
ROB, good morning

I was just curious as to why you did business with this person in the first place. You indicated that you get shipments monthly from other suppliers in Tanz. You may want to consider getting in touch with the their councilate office in NY to see if they can apply any pressure on this thief. Also do you do anything with Joe Berriduchie? Sorry you had the problem.JERRY TRESSER

Old 06-06-2003, 08:38 AM   #3
The BoidSmith
Quote:
By the calculations of the money I sent up front to him and the animals that are alive he still owes me money.
Sorry to hear what happened Rob. By your wording it seems that you are not at a complete loss then. It also seems the arrangement is supposed to be for live animal delivery. At least it seems that you only sent him money up-front but not the balance.

Regards.

Old 06-06-2003, 08:40 AM   #4
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Jerry,

When I was first in contact with this guy I had not really established a good relationship with my other supplier and was trying to get good suppliers. It is always good to have more than one supplier in each country as well. I contacted the Ministry there last year and they did nothing when he refused to ship the animals ordered or refund the money so I doubt they will do anything about this either but I will try again.
As far as Joe Berraducci, he only exports to Josh Mease from The Chamaeleo Research Group and won't ship to anyone else in the US. They have a partnership together. He produces some awesome animals. Also he does not work terms like my suppliers now do with me.

Old 06-06-2003, 09:10 AM   #5
KNOBTAIL
ROB

if you can get me Joes address , I can possibly help you. He was 12 when he first walked into my establishment. I saw him a couple of years ago in Orlando. A nice fellow. But my basic memory of him was that of a child. In either case, what you may want to consider in the future are "irrevocable letters of credit" this would save you alot of headaches. What it does is set up an arrangement between your bank and his. Your bank would guarantee the monies and once he has fulfilled his end of the obligation, the monies would be released to him. Thats the way we did it. The road from Tanzania to the US is a long one, and as you just experienced it can be dangerous to your pocket book, if not devestating. The BOI should have an International Loosers Guide for these rip off artists. JERRY TRESSER

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!