I'm no rocket surgeon, but... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 02:03 AM   #1
AK907
Angry I'm no rocket surgeon, but...

Ok, I've never owned a burmese and I'm not a mathematician, but this just doesn't add up or seem right to me...

There is a guy locally selling a 14ft burm with his 4ft x 3ft terrarium (aka box) that the snake lives in. He won't sell it without the box and he insists that it is more than adequate for him and will continue to be adequate for him for the rest of his life (however short that may be). Wonder if it will still be adequate after it gains another 8-10 feet? The poor thing is built more like a corn snake than a burm too. I know a place in town selling a very healthy 11ft burm that they are keeping in a box that is 6ft x 3ft and it still takes up half of it coiled up! Can't imagine how cramped the other one feels.

I know some snakes prefer more intimate quarters, but how in the heck can any 14ft snake live happily in a box I wouldn't house anything bigger than a large corn snake or a pair of uromastyx in?

These are the people who give us a bad name! In my opinion this is nothing short of cruelty. Or am I wrong and I simply overdue all my pets cages and give them way more than they should have?

Old 09-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
EastCoastArboreals
About 10 years ago I kept 2 Burmese raised from hatchlings until about 8-10 feet each. Some one wanted to breed them and made me a solid offer, so I bit, ending my large snake days. But the cages I kept each of them in even at 10 feet were 8L x 4D x 3H and that seemed a bit small for them.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
AK907
So I'm not completely crazy (the guy with the burm thought I was when I called him out on it).

Wow, High Point... I grew up in Kernersville! I sure miss bass fishing and camping at Badin. Someday I'd love to go back with my wife and take her out there.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!