When to introduce a kid to a snake or reptile? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
piebald320
When to introduce a kid to a snake or reptile?

I have 4 young cousins and all of them love my snakes and always want to hold them but I feel nervous letting them because if it bites them(unlikely with the snakes I have but still) and they drop it or just get scared and drop it or if i look away one second and they lose it or something I was just wondering what some other people who have a similar situation think.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
kellylake0001
i find that older ages tend to be better like 8-10 maybe younger if the kid is mature, but the younger the get the more risk of dropping, "picking", pinching, and accidental freak out can occur one on one i think is the best for introduction. calm and conferrable environment are the most ideal

but working with more then one kid can be hard the best thing to do is try to calm them and taking turns and letting them hold the snake in their lap and "pet it like a kitty" is the best thing to do

Old 01-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
piebald320
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellylake0001 View Post
i find that older ages tend to be better like 8-10 maybe younger if the kid is mature, but the younger the get the more risk of dropping, "picking", pinching, and accidental freak out can occur one on one i think is the best for introduction. calm and conferrable environment are the most ideal

but working with more then one kid can be hard the best thing to do is try to calm them and taking turns and letting them hold the snake in their lap and "pet it like a kitty" is the best thing to do
yea i agree my cousins are nuts when there together but angels alone. I have introduced them only to my sweetest snake and when they are alone they actually do quite well with her even though they are all around 6

Old 01-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
TripleMoonsExotic
My son was introduced to his first reptile (a Leopard Gecko) at about 18 months. He wasn't permitted to hold it on his own, but we showed him how to gently pet it. I have friends with kids that are a bit older (3 & 4) and I allow them to hold baby ball pythons. The trick is to keep the kids calm, have a mellow animal and make sure the children understand the rules. Our rule is that they must be seated and keep their voices down. They understand the concept that they're babies so they must be gentle and quiet so as not to scare them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corbingecko-1.jpg (59.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg corbingecko-2.jpg (69.6 KB, 111 views)

Old 01-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
piebald320
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
My son was introduced to his first reptile (a Leopard Gecko) at about 18 months. He wasn't permitted to hold it on his own, but we showed him how to gently pet it. I have friends with kids that are a bit older (3 & 4) and I allow them to hold baby ball pythons. The trick is to keep the kids calm, have a mellow animal and make sure the children understand the rules. Our rule is that they must be seated and keep their voices down. They understand the concept that they're babies so they must be gentle and quiet so as not to scare them.
thats sweet. my snake was actually a baby ball as well

Old 01-15-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
BobOblak
Totally cute kid. I especially like the ruby eyes. must be a T-positive albino.
The CDC website says that children should not have reptile contact until they are 10 years old. In all seriousness, I have heard of more than one case in which small children were removed from homes by child protective services and the parents charged with child endangerment and forced to get rid of reptiles and disinfect the house before getting the children back. The way this comes to the attention of the authorities is that if a kid actually does get salmonella and the parents take it to the doctor, and lab tests show salmonella, the tests also show whether it is a reptile as opposed to a food borne strain. Just something to keep in mind.
When I let kids hold or touch a snake, the kid must be at least 6 years old, and I wash the snake off in soap and water and dry it with one of those disinfectent wipes before contact, just to remove any gross contamination. The way things are these days, I wouldnt take chances.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:30 PM   #7
kellylake0001
that really irritates me, as far as im concerned there are way more issues with other containments in a home then what a maintain reptile can ever produce. i personally thing reptiles are some of the most amazing things on the plaint.i wonder how many they had.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOblak View Post
No, not t-positive albino. Just a crap photo because I was rushed to capture the moment. I promise, no ruby eyes on this hatchling!

Quote:
The CDC website says that children should not have reptile contact until they are 10 years old. In all seriousness, I have heard of more than one case in which small children were removed from homes by child protective services and the parents charged with child endangerment and forced to get rid of reptiles and disinfect the house before getting the children back. The way this comes to the attention of the authorities is that if a kid actually does get salmonella and the parents take it to the doctor, and lab tests show salmonella, the tests also show whether it is a reptile as opposed to a food borne strain. Just something to keep in mind.
I actually had a friend who had that issue a couple months ago. One of her neighbors called CPS on her in retaliation because someone (not my friend) in their neighborhood called the police about her nasty dog running loose in the neighborhood. So CPS has to do visits on every call, no matter how ridiculous they are (we were told a story about a neighbor calling CPS because a kid's parents were "vampires") and they just took a look around at the room, made sure everything was secure and that was it. I guess they also have to disclose what the call said (but not who), and this neighbor of hers said that she was calling because she "was afraid for the safety" of my friends three kids because she, "heard they could get out." When questioned on whether or not their has been cases of them getting out, the response was "no, I just heard they can." We're also not talking about anything big here...Two Cornsnakes and five ball pythons...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corbinandcookie.jpg (63.7 KB, 101 views)

Old 01-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
Amelanistic Orca
Cooooooookie Monster!!!!!

Old 01-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #10
The BoidSmith
Quote:
When I let kids hold or touch a snake, the kid must be at least 6 years old, and I wash the snake off in soap and water and dry it with one of those disinfectent wipes before contact, just to remove any gross contamination. The way things are these days, I wouldnt take chances.
Bob makes a very good point. The age of the child is also critical because older kids have developed their immune system. In addition even if you do a great job at cleaning the reptile, you are not "sterilizing" it!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
childrens, snakes