Daytona Expo Warning - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:47 AM   #1
herpetological
Daytona Expo Warning

Just letting everyone know! Game & Fish will be at the show. If you are selling venomous reptiles you will need an Venomous permit and have to post a 1,000.00 assurity bond for Exhibiting venomous reptiles! In state or out of state dealers included. Also, you will need an EPB commercial reptile permit. They have made it clear that anyone without these will be arrested!!!! The EPB includes non-venomous sales as well!! KEEP THIS IN MIND!!!! Hopefully this will not be another "Ohio"! Also, note that any species that is appendix1 endangered requires a USDI permit if transported over state lines. Some of you may already know this but, I called a number of people who were unaware!!! Keep in mind you cannot sell: Alligator snappers, Diamondback Terrpains, Florida Pines(Can include Southern Pines), Indigos, Barbours Maps, and others. Check the site for Fl. non-game laws! Thanks Ray Goushaw HBR

Old 07-30-2003, 08:32 AM   #2
HerpVenue
What is an EPB?
Where do I get one?
If I get one in my state........is it good for all over the US?
Does everyone selling need one or is it just for businesses?

I also have the same questions for USDI

Also argentines are appendix two right? Will they need anything special?

no I am not trying to be smart........just trying to be smarter

Old 07-30-2003, 08:51 AM   #3
jefjen
Ritchie,,
An EPB is basically a license to sell animals in the state.. Now remember,,in Florida,,you need a license to sell amphibians,,arthropods,,then your EPB... These are all SEPERATE licenses.. You have to get one in the state of Florida,,if you are going to be selling in the state of Fl.
As far as Appendix 2 animals go,,,you only need a permit if you are importing or exporting those animals..
REMEMBER,,,YOUR EPB DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO SELL SPIDERS,,FROGS NEWTS,,OR ANY OTHER ARTHROPOD OR AMPHIBIAN... They gave out some tickets at the FIRExpo in Orlando a few months ago..
There are also two EPB's... One is for 1-10 animals,,,and the other is 11 or more animals..I MUST EMPHASIZE AGAIN,,this license DOES NOT allow selling of arthropods and amphibians...You need a seperate license for that...
Hope this helps Ritchie...
Jeff Lewis

Old 07-30-2003, 09:56 AM   #4
herpetological
Previous post

That is correct the EPB is the Florida commercial "collector" or sales permit. There are two of these as previously stated. All appendix II specimens can cross state lines and be sold. As long as they were C.B. or legally imported. Appendi I species......You need a USDI permit(Captive Bred Wildlife permit) to cross state lines. From your state to Florida for your sale in Florida. If a customer buys from you in the state of Florida and is a resident, then they need only to keep their receipt. If a customer buys from you at the show then takes it back home to their state....they need a USDI permit to cross state lines. It's hypothetical but, if a customer bought an Indian Python and took it back to say...Ohio. If they were pulled over on the way there they COULD be charged with violation of the Lacey Act. Not likely but, possible. Also a good point- You need a permit to sell arthropods in Florida. THIS INCLUDES FEEDER INSECTS. It is even possible that someone could be charged with sale of dead insects....Not possible? Well the law does state that you need an arthropod permit to sell ANY insects and does not stipulate live or dead? Sound paranoid, tell that to people at the last shows. Not likely but, technically possible. Amphibians are covered under the EPB permit. I definately am not discouraging anyone. Just some friendly warnings! Watch your.... Thanks Ray Goushaw HBR

Old 07-30-2003, 09:59 AM   #5
herpetological
Forgot

Everyone who makes a SALE within the state of Florida has to have a EPB permit obtained from Florida Game.....

Old 07-30-2003, 10:22 PM   #6
jefjen
Amphibian Permit

Ray I beg to differ with you about the Amphibians being covered under the EPB permit....you need to contact your officer on this as I do have an EPB that states in addition to other reptiles mammals and bird I am allowed to sell Amphibians...previously I was required to hold a tropical fish license to sell amphibians...
I have seen peoples frogs taken and given a ticket for their troubles...
Thanks
Jewell Howard and Jeff Lewis

Old 07-30-2003, 10:39 PM   #7
HerpVenue
Thanks guys for da edumacation.

Really it did help.
I am not selling...shoot I can't even go this year.
But I really do appreciate the extra knowledge.

Old 07-31-2003, 01:00 AM   #8
WebSlave
Just in case everyone interested did not get this email from Wayne Hill:

Quote:
To All Expo Vendors:
I have recently been contacted by Lt. Rick Brown of FL Wildlife Commission informing me of a new enforcement plan. This new plan will be implemented starting with the Breeders' Expo in August and continuing for all other shows in FL thereafter. The plan is that any non Florida resident who does not possess the proper permits at the show will no longer be issued a citation to appear in court, but will be taken to the county jail and offered the opportunity to post a $250 bail. This is in response to out of state vendors displaying reptiles without permits at numerous smaller shows around the state who, when cited to appear in court at at later date, do not show.
I will remind you that the application for a permit to sell and display reptiles in the State of FL is always included in the vendor's package. You must have the permit or a copy of it with you at the show since it is subject to inspection by agents of the FL Wildlife Commission. The Expo has been chosen to begin the new enforcement plan because so many herp vendors are present. Let's show the FL Wildlife Commission how professional our vendors are by having 100% compliance with the permitting rules.
Look forward to seeing you in 2 weeks.
Wayne Hill

Old 08-11-2003, 11:02 AM   #9
KNOBTAIL
In so far as insects are concerned

I am the owner of the Drosophila Co. we specialize in flightless fruitflies. We are NOT required to have a state permit from Fla. as we have a federal permit. I have this in writing from the USDA as confusion can be the order of the day when dealing with these people. But state permits are necessary for the sale of any insect. What makes our situation a bit different, is that I dont believe fruitflies are considered insects. But its certainly open to debate.

JERRY TRESSER

Old 08-11-2003, 10:09 PM   #10
sschind
Jerry,

Do you have it in writing from the state of Florida? They are the ones I would be concerned with at the moment, not the USDA. How many times have you heard of situations where people thought they were OK because they had something in writing from one agency only to find out the hard way that the agency in question either did not have jurisdiction or was simply wrong. I am sure you have looked into it but I am only posting this for others who might think they are OK. The only way to be sure is to deal with the people directly in charge.

Steve Schindler

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!