DIY vinyl heat pad? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
phoenix-cry
DIY vinyl heat pad?

I want to use heat cord (cause I have a ton of it) and place it on the bottom of a wooden cage on the bottom where the snake is, not under the tank, and place a sticky back vinyl tile on top of it secured the edges with duct tape to keep snakes from getting under it. Then used eco-carpet on top.

Can I do this without causing major trouble or killer vapors? If this is a problem what is a good way to use heatcord again on the bottom of a wooden cage, not under, but in where the snake (ball pythons) is.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:56 AM   #2
AdamR
I don't see why it wouldn't work, however, you may want to drill some holes under the cord through the wood to give some ventilation to prevent any buildup of fumes and excess heat.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
phoenix-cry
The fumes are what I'm worried about. Since the cages are stacked any fumes from holes in the bottom would vent into the next cage. I have a rheostat to prevent too much heat.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
Focal
Goggle Dioxin from heating plastics. I just heard about it and it may come from heating the vinyl

edit: sorry, not dioxin posioning

Edit again: nevermind, might end up just being a rumor

Old 03-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
phoenix-cry
decided not to risk it, bought some glass panels instead, sealed the edges with white duct tape.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!