Cage question for my corns. Please help. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
micah01
Cage question for my corns. Please help.

Hey guys/gals!
Here's the deal. I have two corns, both are just a little less than a year old.
I currently have them housed in an aquarium that is about 24"x13"x13". They are housed together and haven't had any problem with them as to that fact for about 8mnths now. Sometimes they curl up together and sometimes not, but it hasn't been a problem.
One is a male, but I have no idea about the other. I got the latter at a pet store and the former from a breeder. I am hoping the one is a female, but of course I have no way of telling and have read where I probably won't be able to tell unless I wait till it is a couple years old and have it sexed by someone.
I am starting to look to the near future and wanting to start on a new terrarium for them. What I am thinking of building is a terrarium built from melamine and plexi that will measure approx. 15"x15"x96". My hopes is that I can keep them housed together, but I figure that after another year I may have to put a divider in and make it half and half for each in order to keep them from mating prematurely or if their both males, to keep them from causing problems with each other.
My question, since this is really my first with any snakes, is the size of the terrarium that I am thinking about making about right for corns? Is it not enough? Is it overkill? Does it need to be taller for climbing? ect...
Help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
micah01
Two days, 24 view. In the Cornsnake forum, and noone has any opinions to size and kind of terrarium to use???
I should have asked my wife, she ALWAYS has an opinion!
JK...

Old 04-30-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
AK907
Meh, stick around long enough and you'll get used to no one replying to threads unless you're one of the "cool people".

As for your cage, very overkill, especially at thier size. Could be overwhelming at thier size unless you provide a LOT of hiding places, and even then it might still be. You would be much better off keeping them smaller, shoebox sized enclosures for the first year or so of life. Even as adults cornsnakes do well in 20L sized aquariums, but a 40/55 size would also be suitable. I keep my adults in 28-41qt tubs depending on thier size.

I would also recommend you keeping them housed separately unless you're breeding and even then time together should be monitored. Housing them together can cause many problems like feeding issues, injuries from fighting, stress and in some cases cannibalization. Don't risk it.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
micah01
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK907 View Post
Meh, stick around long enough and you'll get used to no one replying to threads unless you're one of the "cool people".

As for your cage, very overkill, especially at thier size. Could be overwhelming at thier size unless you provide a LOT of hiding places, and even then it might still be. You would be much better off keeping them smaller, shoebox sized enclosures for the first year or so of life. Even as adults cornsnakes do well in 20L sized aquariums, but a 40/55 size would also be suitable. I keep my adults in 28-41qt tubs depending on thier size.

I would also recommend you keeping them housed separately unless you're breeding and even then time together should be monitored. Housing them together can cause many problems like feeding issues, injuries from fighting, stress and in some cases cannibalization. Don't risk it.
Ya, I kinda noticed that.
That's ok though. I was never one of the "cool kids" in school and got used to being one of the last to get picked for things.
Thanks for your thoughts! I wondered if I might be over doing it... I just didn't want them stuck in a cage that they couldn't move around in.
As for not keeping them together, I have been considering separating them. Not because of anything that has happened, just because of what I have read. Hopefully I can get something built that will be suitable.
I do put several things around so they can hide. One of them actually doesn't use the the hidey holes as much as the other. It's the one that seems to tolerate the interaction with me better. Not that they "enjoy" it, just seems to tolerate it well.
Thanks again!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!