Poll: Potion Pied project VS Super Mystic Pied project - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: Mystic Potion Pied -VS- Super Mystic Pied (options descriptions listed in thread)
Mystic Potion Pied 6 66.67%
Super Mystic Pied 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
B&C Ball Pythons
Poll: Potion Pied project VS Super Mystic Pied project

Hello everyone. We are trying to decide on something. I've mentioned this before on our new mystic thread, but I'd like to post this strictly dedicated to this project.

Mystic Potion Pied VS Super Mystic Pied

We currently have a '10 male mojo and a '10 female mystic.
We also have a '11 Pied female.

Our options:

Option A
-keep the mojo and mystic, cross our fingers and produce a mystic potion male to throw at our pied female.
-pros: we already have a potion making pair, can possibly make a few potions enroute to final goal of potion pied
-cons: we haven't been able to convert the mystic female to f/t yet, distinguishing between mystic vs mojo het pieds, lower odds of producing both a mojo het pied and mystic het pied of opposite sexes.

Option B
-sell mojo and mystic, buy a mystic male
-pros: hatchlings are much easier to convert to f/t, all het pied offspring will be mystic or normal (no worrying about mystic vs mojo ID), a lil higher odds of producing mystic het pieds of opposite sexes vs mojo&mystic
-cons: miss out on possible mystic potions along the way to our goal

I'm sure they're more pros and cons to each. Seeking opinions from you crafty veteran breeders

Old 07-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
KY Reptiles
If you sell the mojo male and mystic female and buy a mystic male... You won't be able to make a mystic potion pied. Just mystic pieds and eventually super mystic pieds. This is what I would do...

Make your mystic potion. Hold back a male to pair to the pied female. You can also buy a pied male and a mystic potion female (2010 or early 2011) so you can pair them as well and keep hold backs. That way you can take unrelated mystic potion het pieds and pair them together. So I say option 1.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
rcpreis3
Im not a veteran breeder, but one analytical SOB so how about an Option C?

Keep all three, breed the male mojo to both, keep a male mojo het pied. Keep any potions, mystic females, and atleast one mystic male if u dont have a potion male. Now the next season, breed the male mojo het pied back to mom, hope for the white gold. This is why I said keep a male mystic incase u get a female white gold. I personally would hope for a male white gold, to breed back to the 10 mystic female cuz she'll already be breeding size, and her first clutch females would already be 2 years old by now, and close to breeding if they arent already. IF everything goes ur way and u have great luck u could be looking at potion pieds in like 8 years. A great thing about that is u have genes alot of people would like and maybe be able to trade for older snakes to maybe give u a few years closer.
Lets say u get an extra male potion on the first breeding year for them Theres a chance someone would wanna trade a femle mojo or mystic het pied thats already a year old or so with some weight.

Just my $0.02

Old 07-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
B&C Ball Pythons
Thanks for the input Kelly and Robert. I think we'll follow your advice since these animals are already here and healthy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!