Male leopard gecko feeding habits ?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
Pinky gecko girl
Exclamation Male leopard gecko feeding habits ??

Hi, I have just started this year breeding geckos, my female leopards are doing great. I have no problems with them. But my males are the opposit. I have had 3 males die so far! I do the same with them as I do to the females. They are housed sepretly in there own bend. A heating pad and the temp stays around 85-90. They eat crickets, mealworms and superworms. I just bought me two more males. And they both are very health and I want that to stay. Is there any tips from large breeder that can help me? I need some nice advice please. I have had a lot of trial and error with these guys.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
jellyfishrhythm
Hmm...there are a lot of other factors that we need to consider.

Firstly, I'm very sorry for your loss. Losing a critter sucks, no way around it!

...did the initial 3 males come from the same place? Were they acting fine for a considerable amount of time and then the feeding response just shut off? - - also, are you sure they died of malnutrition? Internal parasites a possibility?

Also, have you considered the possibility of impaction? I'm not sure how large your males are, but I tend to stay away from certain sized prey with my smaller geckos namely because impaction is a rotten thing to have to deal with, and can definitely cause them to stop eating and ultimately die.

You said the males are all separate, in their own bins - how large are the bins, and how close are they to each other? My male leopard geckos absolutely LOATHE each other, and once they're near one another, or, near a female, their behavior changes completely (have sex on the brain can certainly alter the habits of a male leopard gecko!)

The possibility exists that the feeding issue is not a cause, but a symptom, do you know what I mean?

Give us a little more info, we'll see how we can help you get to the bottom of this :-)

Old 10-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Pinky gecko girl
Yeah all came from different people. They all were about 50+ grams then lost weight. And they were close to my females and other males. So even if they can't see them they know they are their? The only thing that they ate large was superworms when I could get them. Mostly crickets and mealworms. How far should I keep them away from there leopards? I have them about a foot from each other in plastic bends.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
jellyfishrhythm
Sorry for the delay, Kayla!

Before I start trying to troubleshoot, has there been any change? Have they started eating again?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
feeding help, feeding problem, leopard gecko