Rat hutch idea - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
Necoco
Rat hutch idea

I've been playing around with some different ideas for large outdoor rat cages (My mom hates having them in the house),and after looking at some rabbit hutches I've decided to try and make one specifically designed for a large colony of rats. Let me know what you guys think and if there's something that needs to be improved. (Sorry for the messy text by the way. XP )

The inside of it is going to have different levels and everything,which is why it's so tall. There wont be any screen on the bottom,so I think I'm going to attach some stakes to the bottom edges that way they can't get out. Or would it be fine without them? For the entire bottom of the actual hutch part I'm gonna try and make a tiled litter pan that will fit inside,that way when it's time to clean it all I have to do is take it out. The two doors will be the entire back for this thing,instead of just making a small one. I decided to go with the screen design so that I didn't have any escapees trying to jump out right when I open the doors. XD

I wont be making it until Spring rolls around so I'll have plenty of time to make adjustments and get supplies~ (Not to mention rats~ :3 This should hold at least 20-25 females and a couple males? )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rathutch.jpg (116.8 KB, 76 views)

Old 11-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Necoco
Probably shouldn't have done some of it in yellow. XP

Old 11-22-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
AdamR
Cool idea. I used to breed rabbits in something similar (obviously much larger) and the one thing I can tell you is that it was disgusting until I tore out the bottom and used hardware cloth for the entire bottom. Nice plans though! I think you have plenty of time to perfect it by spring!! Good luck!

Old 11-23-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
Necoco
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamR View Post
Cool idea. I used to breed rabbits in something similar (obviously much larger) and the one thing I can tell you is that it was disgusting until I tore out the bottom and used hardware cloth for the entire bottom. Nice plans though! I think you have plenty of time to perfect it by spring!! Good luck!
Thanks. ^^
Oh I know,my brother and I used to have pet rabbits and it sucked cleaning out the back. That's way I'm gonna try and build the litter pan so that it covers the entire bottom.

I liked the idea for the racks but I figured this would work best since they have to be kept outside,it also gives plenty of room for toys so they stay fit and don't try to take their boredom out on the wood. XD

Old 11-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
Wolfy-hound
If there is any place that's not wired, they'll dig out.

Also, I'm wondering how you'll be able to catch rats if they aren't near the doors?

If the inner screen slides into a slot, the slot can be filled/blocked with litter, so be aware of that. A screen that you remove would probably be easier than a complex sliding one.

Rats will generally chew on wood. You might think of lining the inside with wire, so they can't chew on the wood itself.

Good luck!!

Old 11-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
Necoco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound View Post
If there is any place that's not wired, they'll dig out.

Also, I'm wondering how you'll be able to catch rats if they aren't near the doors?

If the inner screen slides into a slot, the slot can be filled/blocked with litter, so be aware of that. A screen that you remove would probably be easier than a complex sliding one.

Rats will generally chew on wood. You might think of lining the inside with wire, so they can't chew on the wood itself.

Good luck!!
That's what I thought,I might just build a litter pan for that part as well. This is true,I didn't think of that. XD I think where the bottom part extends I'll make that whole top part a hinged top and put one on the top screened box as well. I'll do the wire lining as well. :3

For the screen slot they'll be a strip of wood on the inside edge,so that should cut down on that. Originally I was considering doing one that just comes off but I figured a sliding one would work good for keeping everyone in if I just wanted to opening it a bit and pull the ones I need.

Thanks for the advice though. ^^

Old 11-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
reptibreeder
it might be some trouble with the rats eating throught the wood, they can chew through steel, (so Ive heard).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!