Prices raised on Bumese pythons? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
BURMTIC
Prices raised on Bumese pythons?

I saw a few ads with Burmese python's prices raised more than i have ever seen before because of the ban.

Whats everyone's opinion on the sudden price increase? Are Burm's gaining value now?

Thanks

Old 01-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
GREGORY J HALL
Why would they gain value when they are rendered basically worthless,market wasnt great on them anyway.maybe Im wrong but Im worried about the future of all reptiles!

Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
WingedWolf
This may be because folks figure this is their last chance to get the morph they have been wanting, before it may be locked out of their State. People may not be able to make a living breeding them, but there will still be breeders operating in every State, and people will still buy them.
The big tragedy is how many of these snakes will wind up homeless when people move from State to State.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Metachrosis
Yup,everybody will just snap in line and be 100% compliant with the Law.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
NIGRO51

Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
SPJ
I saw a few of those ads myself. Some of the prices are even above what the most expensive pet store would charge for a normal or albino burm.
I think within the next month or so you will see prices plummet since breeders will no longer be able to see nationally.
I wouldn't be surprised if lucy burms are $50 when the ban is ready to go into effect.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
DNA Dragons
It is compliant if registered. Get it before you should be legal.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
WingedWolf
I'm not sure what you mean by registered. Honestly, that's part of the ludicrousness of this law...there is no registration, unless that's a State law. They have no clue how many of these animals exist in the country, and they have no clue who has them. No legitimate business is going to try shipping them, but I'm sure there are plenty of illegitimate ones that will. Regardless, if someone drives over from a neighboring state and buys one, and drives it home, they have no means to prevent that. No breeder is going to care whether their customer is planning to smuggle it, because it's no skin off their back if the customer takes the risk...which is virtually no risk at all.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolf View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by registered. Honestly, that's part of the ludicrousness of this law...there is no registration, unless that's a State law. They have no clue how many of these animals exist in the country, and they have no clue who has them. No legitimate business is going to try shipping them, but I'm sure there are plenty of illegitimate ones that will. Regardless, if someone drives over from a neighboring state and buys one, and drives it home, they have no means to prevent that. No breeder is going to care whether their customer is planning to smuggle it, because it's no skin off their back if the customer takes the risk...which is virtually no risk at all.

All of which will serve no other purpose than to paint the entire reptile industry in a bad light. Some underground breeder, or hobbyist with and "I don't give a crap" attitude, will get caught smuggling burms, it will make the news and pretty soon the rest of us will be trying to explain to our uneducated neighbors why it is not indicative of the way the legitimate reptile hobby/business/industry works or how responsible reptile owners behave. Once again the ability of the responsible to keep he animals they love will be made more difficult by the actions of the irresponsible.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind View Post
All of which will serve no other purpose than to paint the entire reptile industry in a bad light. Some underground breeder, or hobbyist with and "I don't give a crap" attitude, will get caught smuggling burms, it will make the news and pretty soon the rest of us will be trying to explain to our uneducated neighbors why it is not indicative of the way the legitimate reptile hobby/business/industry works or how responsible reptile owners behave. Once again the ability of the responsible to keep he animals they love will be made more difficult by the actions of the irresponsible.
Exactly. All you need is one breeder to sell their remaining offspring to out-of-state buyers when the in-state market dries up and get caught. It will be national news and instead of just a ban on moving these animals from state to state, you will see an outright national ban on ownership.
I can almost guarentee that within 6 months of this going into effect, someone is going to get caught shipping a burm morph out of state. Then we are all screwed worse than we are now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!