Help me please!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 01-17-2004, 11:53 AM   #1
snakeman52646
Help me please!!!

I have had many numerous snakes in my live never had one do this. I got a green anaconda in on Tuesday evening. She seemed fined. Idid not mess with her much just put her in a set up to settle in for a few days. Thursday I look in on her and she had what look like a real small bowle movement and some urine. Friday I look in on her and get her out and she is lathargic and twists herself up. If you put her down she will untwist herself and look fine (but not really able to move). As soon as you pick her up she twists all up like she cannot control it. There also has been lots wet matter coming out her tail. Almost like she is urinating but she has done it 4 or 5 times just last night. I do have pics if that would help.
Billie garr

Old 01-17-2004, 12:10 PM   #2
Rob @ RK Reptiles
Billie,

I would suggest taking her to a vet immediately without fail. There really is nothing anyone on here will be able to offer you as for help other than that. I wish you the best of luck with the animal.

Old 01-17-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
snakeman52646
Vet

Thanks for the reply Rob. I have already contacted the vet that sees exotics. He is out and I cannot get her in til Monday. I have her soaking in warm water to try and relax her. I am keeping a watchful eye on her. I would just like to say that I have only had this snake 3 days and I have falling in love with her she is a very beautiful snake. Yes I did pay a chunk of change for her but that is not the issue to me her health is. Please keep her in your thoughts till I can get her into the vet Monday.
thank you,
Billie.

Old 01-17-2004, 05:45 PM   #4
The BoidSmith
Billie,

A few management things things that immediately come to mind.

First what kind of a set-up are you using and what's the temperature you are keeping her at? Careful with the warm water!

Secondly, has she been treated for mites at all? Check with the person you bought her from to see if she has been treated recently. One way or the other that's one of the first things the vet is going to ask you and you need to give him as much background info as possible.

Do you use any vapona-like strips in your snake room or enclosure?

If is wooden, have you recently painted the enclosure?

Please keep us posted!

Old 01-17-2004, 06:13 PM   #5
The BoidSmith
Billie,

One other thing, what substarte are you using? I would assume she is a baby anaconda. Please allow enough temperature gradient for her to thermorregulate. Excess heat can do that to snakes. If that's the case I'm afraid prognosis is not very good (although with time some cases do recover). If it's intoxication by any of the other chemicals (paint, mite treatment, etc.) the vet will probably suggest atropine sulphate (injectable). If the damage to the central nervous system has not been extensive she can probably recover. Don't forget to get as much information as possible from the place you bought her. This will be critical for your vet to be able to help her out.

Kindly.

Old 01-19-2004, 07:06 PM   #6
The BoidSmith
Any news?

Billie,

What did the vet say? Hopefully we can all learn from this one.

Regards.

Old 01-23-2004, 05:18 PM   #7
John Apple
Am I missing something here????
Billie..., all advise before is just all fine for the snake you bought, I am wondering who you bought the animal from and what kind of guarantee did you get?? and are other snakes in the same room ??
Here is my problem , what if the snake has some disease and this person is spreading around whatever pathogen your snake could possibly have to other consumers.
What if these other consumers lose their collections.......Hmmmm
I assume you isolated the snake from your collection
Did you contact the seller??

Old 02-05-2004, 11:36 PM   #8
The BoidSmith
Billie,

What was the outcome with your anaconda? Any improvements?

Regards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!