My First Clutch EVER!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
jamiryan365
My First Clutch EVER!!

Last week i came home and checked on snakes like any other day, only to find my big female coiled up around a large clutch of eggs!! This was a COMPLETE suprise, as i didnt even know she was gravid, i had wondered, but the timeline (to me) was all wrong!

This female was 2200-2300 grams when i got her and she is just a normal. i got her in (approximately) November 2011. She was a fiesty eater, never missed a meal and was still throwing the weight on. Around January, for S&G's i threw one of my males in with her. i rotated a few of my boys in with her, as all of them are young and not proven. she ended up locking up with:
a normal, an albino, a mojave, and a pastel.
She went off food February 22nd, and to this day has not eaten. it was a red flag to me for her to be off food since she was a great eater.

months came and went and no eggs, no signs of her being gravid, no weightloss. so i kept offering her food when i fed the others just in case she changed her mind!

well turns out she was definitely gravid. laid a clutch of 8 eggs. all look great.

i got them out and into an incubator that is at 89 degrees, but any advice/thoughts about why she went so long is greatly appreciated!
i am hoping these babies hatch out, but this is my first time ever dealing with snake eggs, so i am a bit hesitant about everything!

im not new to snakes, but i am DEFINITELY new to breeding them!
thanks

Old 06-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
jamiryan365
There she is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0613122148.jpg (136.5 KB, 57 views)

Old 06-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
glk832
Congrats ..I cant wait for my first clutch..

Old 06-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
jamiryan365
thanks! i didnt think i would be this excited! the next couple months is going to draggg by!

Old 06-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Matt2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiryan365 View Post
thanks! i didnt think i would be this excited! the next couple months is going to draggg by!
Next 7'ish weeks are going to be !!!!

Can't wait to see what you get from your surprise clutch! Hope it's something really cool.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
R. Eventide
Congrats on your first cluch! Woo! It's a wonderful feeling!

That doesn't sound like an abnormal time to be off food. One of my normals who's laid twice went off food mid-December and laid her eggs at the beginning of April. (I don't recall timescales off the top of my head for the rest of my girls.)

Old 06-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
jamiryan365
Thanks! im stoked to see if anything cool comes! but ill be happy with a buch of little healthy normals too :P

and i am definitely not looking forward to the coming weeks! thanks matt for reminding me!

-.- !

Old 06-19-2012, 04:12 AM   #8
Breaking Balls
Congrats! Super exciting.

Regards,

B

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!