Someone please help identify - CAUTION - dead snake photos - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
hartge330ci
Someone please help identify - CAUTION - dead snake photos

Hi all,
need some advice here. I purchased the below snake about two weeks ago from a Kingsnake classifieds dealer (I won't include the name yet as I am still trying to figure out a refund, although they have not been as responsive as I would expect). When I received it, it came with a second snake in the same bag/box. I noticed the snake had white skin flake type blisters all over its body, especially near the head (see photos). When I scratched at them they flaked off. I immediately called the seller and they said not to worry, they were "water blisters" and would resolve themselves once the snake sheds. I still put the snake in a separate cage just to be sure. Three days ago I noticed the snake was going into shed and kept an eye on here. This morning she was dead, curled on her back in the cage. I must have caught her shortly after she died, no rigor. I noticed she had the red spots/lines all over her. They weren't moving, but looked somewhat like hemorrhaging or worms. I'm no expert so I can't tell. I keep several other snakes in the same enclosures with no problems, so I know it's not an enclosure issue. The other snake, also kept separate, has not developed the same blisters, but I am concerned for my other snakes, especially my more expensive ones. Can anyone help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (268.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (275.1 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (273.8 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1962.jpg (218.8 KB, 134 views)

Old 06-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
gsrept
First you should always I repeat always quarantine any new reptile you get. second you should really keep the snakes in separate enclosures its easier to keep track of feeds, sheds, defecations and so on not to mention the chances are greater to pass on disease or parasites between snakes in the same enclosure. Last but not least who ever sent you that snake new it had issues and you should get a refund.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
hartge330ci
I guess I should have said that I do keep my snakes separate. I see how it's confusing from what I said. Do u think there is a chance this could be a parasite and passed on to my other snakes despite different tubs/enclosures?

Old 06-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
snowgyre
Looks like blister disease. There is an excellent writeup describing this disease, its causes, and treatments, with photos here: http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...arrior-so.html

Old 06-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
gsrept
Its hard to say I am not a vet but I would definatly clean every thing this snake came into contact with. does not look like parasite to me. looks more fungal. also when you quarintine they should be in a seperate room preferable in another building. if you had it in same room as your other snakes I would not breing another snake home until you know for sure everyone is fine and I usually use 120 day quarintine on all new snakes. also to clean use novalsan or chlorahexadine. if you use bleach it needs to sit on surface for at least 3 minutes for it to be truly disinfected. hope this helps and sorry for your loss hopefully you will be refunded and do not have to go to the BOI.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!