Opinions needed please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 01-31-2004, 11:56 AM   #1
hogboa
Opinions needed please

I purchased a Albino boa,100% het for snow from a well known breeder for $2,500. I received the animal,28 days later it died.
I've been breeding / keeping boids for 14 yrs & very well educated on husbandry.
This animal was in guarenteen,temps were good,fresh water.....ect
I'm not mentiong who I got the animal from....yet. I want to get opinions from you people 1st. I think by posting the name, I'd get post from people who know this person, end result taking sides.
Do you think I'm intitield to a refund? Partial refung? Nothing?
To me $2,500 is ALOT of money. The animal was guarenteed healthy.eating..ect When the animal died, I put it in the freezer to show that the animal,indeed was dead. The seller said I shouldn't have done this. I thought the best thing to do was preserve the animal.
What's your opinion
I contacted the seller, he said he'd give me $100 off another animal.....period. The above listed is the facts.as they happened.
If there was a # of days guarenteed.....I don't remember. Just considering the price of the animal and it only lived 28 days.........something had to be wrong.
The animal was said to be 18 months old. It was around 30". I'm not looking to give someone a bad name....just opinions on what you'all think the resolution should be or no resolution at all.
Thanks for any opinions
Thanks Dave Derrick

Old 01-31-2004, 12:20 PM   #2
KelliH
Quote:
When the animal died, I put it in the freezer to show that the animal,indeed was dead. The seller said I shouldn't have done this.
The seller is right, you should have had a necropsy performed on the animal to determine the cause of death.

Was the boa showing any symptoms of being ill before it died?

28 days is basically a month, a lot can happen to an animal in a months time. If it were me that sold you that animal, I would not refund your money, unless a necropsy could prove that the animal had a very long term illness and was ill when it was sold to you. If it had died 10 days later, MAYBE, but 28 days?

Old 01-31-2004, 12:28 PM   #3
hogboa
it was fine,got lethargic,then died

Old 01-31-2004, 12:41 PM   #4
DaveyFig
I think 30 inches long at 18 months is a damn good sign that something was wrong from the get go. I don't power feed my boas, and have 6 month olds that are around 33 inches. Did it eat at all for you while in your care? How was its body weight?
At 18 months old , if it was a male, it was breedable. 2,500 sounds a little low for a breedable albino , het snow. Its posible that you got a "deal" because the breeder saw something going wrong and wanted to ditch the snake, and not lose too bad.

Old 01-31-2004, 12:43 PM   #5
KelliH
That's really sad Dave, and I am sorry that happened. How long was the snake lethargic before it died? Was it showing any other symptoms (regurge, refusing meals, etc)?

I understand how you feel. I spent a lot of money on a reverse trio of very high end geckos last year. I had them for 10 days when one of the males suddenly just died. He was perfectly fine the night before when I fed them, next day, dead. The person that sold them to me immediately offered to replace the male, but that it would be several before he could. I was not even expecting that much, really, and was grateful he did that. Of course, I sent the gecko off for a full and complete necropsy, histopathology and the results: the animal was completely healthy at the time of death and no cause could be determined!

Have you spoken with the seller about possibly giving you a partial credit towards animals produced later this year? You never know until you ask.

Old 01-31-2004, 12:49 PM   #6
KelliH
Quote:
I think 30 inches long at 18 months is a damn good sign that something was wrong from the get go.
I didn't see anything about the size in Dave's post? Did I miss it? At any rate, 30 inches at 18 months does seem a bit small to me as well, but then, we feed our animals a lot over here!

Dave, I am really curious as to who this animal came from. I have an idea about who it is but it's just a guess. Maybe if he reads this post he will consider giving you a decent credit towards offspring produced this summer/fall.

Old 01-31-2004, 12:51 PM   #7
hogboa
The snake was sold to me as,basically a yearling. The same day it became lethagric,it died. BUT for 18 months,she was small for her size....in my opinion.
Dave Derrick

Old 01-31-2004, 12:51 PM   #8
KelliH
Doh! Never mind, I see now where Dave said how big the snake was. I should stop coming here so much, reading all these posts makes my eyes play tricks on me. I apologize Davey and Dave.

Old 01-31-2004, 01:15 PM   #9
The BoidSmith
Dave,

Was the animal eating? What? How often? Did the feces look normal (color/consistency)?

Rergards.

Old 01-31-2004, 01:49 PM   #10
robin d.
IF YOU RECIEVED THE ANMAL AND YOU THOPUGHT IT SMALL FOR ITS AGE YOU SHOULD HAVE SAID SOMETHING TO THE SELLER. if you had been displeased with the animal when you first got it and expressed it as such to the seller (like if she was smaller than what she should have been you should have sent her back and gotten a refund, but when you first got and inspected her), possibly something could have been worked out much earlier. but after 28 days regardless of the amount of money (now mind you YES it would upset me if i spent that much on an animal and 28 days later it died but still i am well past any gauruntees and at that point i can not expect anything, unless of course i could prove it) he has no liability to you, unless a necropsy was sent off and with the results proven otherwise.
and it may not have been either of your faults sometimes sh!t happens with no explanation.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!