Longest amount of time between clutchmates hatching? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-20-2004, 05:43 PM   #1
Sarah H
Longest amount of time between clutchmates hatching?

I had one baby hatch yesterday around 10 am, but the clutchmate still hasn't.
The egg looks normal still and I have heard of them hatching a day apart, but mine have always seemed to hatch at the same time so I wasn't too sure about the length of time.
When I got home today I decided to take a closer look at the egg(still looks good) with the light, and I don't see any movement but it is hard to tell it has alot of the lay box stuff on it. Now I thought I smelled something not right when I opened the container But I kept trying to smell it again and I didn't.
Should I move it to another container, since there are 6 other good eggs in with it?
Thanks

Sarah

Old 02-20-2004, 05:58 PM   #2
Sarah H
The one that hatched already, My First of 04.

Old 02-20-2004, 06:00 PM   #3
KelliH
Sarah-

It would probably not hurt to move the egg to a different container. If I were you I would just slit the egg myself, just to make sure if there is a baby in there that he is able to get out on his own. Just take some cuticle scissors and cut a tiny slit (almost have to "pich"it) in the egg. Normally if you see clear fluid come out then the egg is good. Cut the slit big enough so that you can see the baby in there. Poke it very gently with the tip of the scissors. If it moves around then it is alive and you can put the egg back in a container. If it still had a week or two to go before hatching I would patch the slit with a little piece of paper towel but since it is due to hatch now, you can just put the egg back in and he should come out on his own. The way I see it is if he can't get out on his own after you slit the egg for him, he is a very weak animal and probably not meant to live. I know that sounds harsh but it's true IMO. Let me know if you have any questions about slitting the egg.

Old 02-20-2004, 06:11 PM   #4
Sarah H
Thanks, I'm gonna go for it. Just have to find my scissors, I always misplace those little ones.
I agree with you about if they cant make it out, then something isn't right with them.
I'll let you know how it goes later.
Thanks

Sarah

Old 02-20-2004, 06:50 PM   #5
Golden Gate Geckos
hatch times

Sarah,

I have had a couple of clutches go for about 48 hours in between clutchmates hatching. I have also used Kelli's suggested method, and have not had any major problems other than one or two had their yolk sacks still attached, which they lost within 24 hours. All were just fine.

Old 02-20-2004, 07:43 PM   #6
Sarah H
Well, I cut a little slit and the fluid was clear, I peeked in and pooked it just a little and it moved slightly sorta like it tensed up.
So I put it back in the incubator in a different container, I hope it comes out tonight.
When I opened the egg container it was in I smelled something a little off again, so I was expecting the egg to already be bad. But it wasn't and all the other eggs look great, so I don't know what the smell is coming from.
Thanks for the help, I'll let you guys know if it comes out or not.
Sarah

Old 02-21-2004, 12:52 AM   #7
Sarah H
Well she came out of the egg, but has a very lage yolk sack. It looks like it may be broken cause it is't all together now. She is active though when I looked in to see that she had come out she started tying to get away but had alot to drag.
I put her in a little tuperwhere container with moist paper towels and a few holes in the top and left her in the incubator.
Hopefuly she looks better tomorrow.

Old 02-21-2004, 12:06 PM   #8
Golden Gate Geckos
yolk sack

Sarah,

The yolk sack should fall off by itself, especially if she is active. When this happens, they look very caved in at the abdomen. This quickly fills in as soon as they start eating, so don't worry. Keeping her on moist paper towel will help facilitate this.

I had a tiny little baby hatch about a week early who's yok sack was so big it could hardly move around. When it finally broke, the baby's back feet walked through it and the yolk stuck to it's toes, then dried. The little thing lost several toes since the yolk was sort of like unshed skin, and it was so small I didn't notice until it was too late and the toes were turing black. So, depending on the size of the sack and how much yolk is left in it, you may want to try to rinse off the little one's feet after it comes off.

Old 02-21-2004, 03:24 PM   #9
Sarah H
Well early this morning she didn't look to good but I think she wore herself out draging the sack around, because it had detached from the tube thing this moring. I changed the paper towel and put he away then. Well I just got home and it looks like she absorbed the tube like thing that was sticking out and she is active.
She looks compleatly different then her clutchmate patern and color.
Here is a pic I just took.

Old 02-21-2004, 04:21 PM   #10
Golden Gate Geckos
Awwwww!

Congratulations, she is darling! BOTH babies are very beautiful, their tang coloration is quite evident even as new hatchlings. My first clutch of 2004 (blizzard) is due in 4-5 days... I can hardly wait...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!